We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Johns beaches

Albany, NY
1 post
Save Topic
St. Johns beaches

What are the best beaches to go to in St. Johns and how is the Westin beach?

pa
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Johns beaches

I have been to trunks bay & hawks nest. The beaches in St. John are beautiful, I have been to several islands but I think St. John beaches are just amazing and one of the best. The sand is so soft and the water so many shades of blue/green. Truly breath taking. My screen saver is of trunk's bay to remind me how beautiful it is and how I wish I was there! There are so many beaches there. I have not been to the Westin, but heard the resort is very nice. You will not be let down with the beaches at St. John. Have a great time!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Johns beaches

A great place to snorkel on St. John is Leister (sp?) Bay. You'll have to rent a jeep, which the Westin can help you with, and park at the sugar mill ruins along the north coast. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to where you'll actually be at the beach but it's worth it. We spent an entire afternoon on this beach with absolutely no one else. Snorkeling was amazing - sting rays and turtles, all kinds of fish . . . a pretty amazing experience. See if the hotel has a mini cooler you can pack and take with you for a picnic.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Johns beaches

Little Maho, Cinnamon Bay, Trunk Bay..soooo many beautiful beaches....

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Johns beaches

The north shore beaches are the best -Hawksnest, Cinnamon, Trunk - these are closer to town and are more crowded than those farther away. Big Maho is gorgeous as is Francis Bay. You can take the Maho Shuttle (Fretts Taxi) which stops at any of them $5 to the farthest point (each person) and will pick you up on the way back. Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Johns beaches

Cinnamon Bay is the best by far. Westin beach was small and rocky.

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Johns beaches

Hawknest is the prettiest. Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay are great, too. The Westin is kind of blah by comparision.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Johns beaches

Bosman, where have you stayed? I am planning on staying at the Westin, is that a bad call? Its just the two us, no kids, etc.

Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Johns beaches

Bosman, where have you stayed? I am planning on staying at the Westin, is that a bad call? Its just the two us, no kids, etc.

Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Johns beaches

Thanks.

Chicago, IL
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Johns beaches

The beaches on St. John are all glorious. Fine white powdery, sugary sand. Most of the locals go to Hawksnest. Trunk is just gorgeous. Managed to go there when there was no cruise ship in port on St. Thomas. Not very crowded. We stayed at the Westin late July '04. Cruz bay is simply that a bay. The Westins own ferry (from St. John to St. Thomas) dock there. The boat is about the size of a large private yacht. Also Cruz Bay watersports docks their three various sized boats there. Also the other company docks their 2 Catamarans there. Also there are "parking spaces" in the Bay for people who dock their private boats there (Kenney Chesnesy docks his boat in the bay). Also Cruz Bay watersport rents some non motorized as well as small motorized crafts. Don't get me wrong it is still very pretty. The Westin staff are out there very early in the morning grooming the sand and putting out the lounge chairs for the day. There is also a HUGE water trampoline and blow-up climbing wall for all the kids and grown-ups alike. Its a blast and my kids had so much fun. Cruz Bay beach is just not like the rest of the island beaches, but it is still St. John. The water isn't as blue and clear as the rest of the islands beaches. You have to remember if you don't take the public ferry onto the island (our vacation pkg. included transportation from St. Thomas via the Westin ferry)you come to the property via Cruz Bay. The ferry also goes back and forth several times per day. It doesn't bother the vacationers though - its not loud or anything. Just a little wave action. Otherwise the Bay is very calm. Hope this helps. Happy vacation.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...