We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to rent a car or just cab it on an upcoming trip.

I'm going to USVI for 3 nights in January, camping at Cinnamon Bay. This will be my first trip to the USVI. I like off the beaten path beaches, but since its my first trip, and since I have limited time, I'll probably hit the highlights. I'd like to see Trunk Bay (early morning trip to beat the crowds), hike the Reef Bay trail, see the Annaberg Sugar Plantation ruins, snorkel, and hang out on the beach.

If I rented a car, I would get a rental from Budget rent a car at the airport, take it on the ferry, and drive over. The rental would be $150 for the three days, and I'd spend another $100 for taking the car on the ferry. So that's $250 before gas. I'm starting to think that I might be able to see everything I want to see by cabbing in, and that I'd spend less money on cabs on than on a rental.

Thoughts?

Germantown, MD
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

We use St John Car Rental when we are there. But most are fine. Most have websites you can check prices but once again they tend to all be about the same. They may not want to give you a reservation for one day in season but you should try. Especially when you are close to going. There are about 10 or so car rental places on St. John and all you need is to find one place that has one car for one of the two full days you will be there. Some place will probably work out but if not, Cinnamon is a nice beach for a base camp and you could even walk to Maho if need be.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

I did a bit more research and thinking, and came up with a rough itinerary. From what I understand from the posts, it sounds like everything I"m planning on doing would be cab accessible, though the return trip from Waterlemon Cay being the hardest to organize by cab.

I"m really leaning towards just cabbing it...

Day 1 - Friday - land in afternoon, make way to Cinnamon Bay, set up tent, sit on beach at Cinnamon Bay

Day 2 - Saturday - Reef Bay hike, petroglyphs, Reef Bay Sugar Mill

Day 3 - Sunday - Waterlemon Cay & Anaberg Ruins

Day 4 - Saturday - trunk bay (go in early morning to avoid crowds), pack up, take ferry back, fly out

Pa.
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

Are you doing the national Park guided reef Bay hike tour? If not, not sure how easy it is to get a cab there and back. I would guess it is something you would want to set up in advance with the cabdriver to make sure you get picked back up. The trailhead is in the middle-of-the-road well out of town. We have gone to St. John for only four days, and rented a car from budget and took the car barge. We like to explore way too much to depend on taxis. Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

klfbsn - not sure yet how I'll manage the Reef Bay hike. I'm going in January 2015 - so I'm in the very early stages of planning. I'm leaning towards not renting a car, but if I can't see what I want to see without one, I rent from Budget at the airport.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

I have read in other posts about luggage fees charged for taxis and also for the Red Hook to Cruz Bay ferry. Can you tell me is there luggage fees in addition to the $15 taxi fee? Also are there luggage fees on the ferry? One person posted that there is $4 luggage fee but no fees for backpacks on the ferry? Thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

I don't know the current fees but yes there are naggage fees for both taxis and ferries. Check vi now website.

Edited: 10:26 am, May 13, 2015
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

thank you for your quick response. I have been on that website but I am not finding the answers to these questions yet :)

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

Without a doubt, I would rent a vehicle. That way you will be on your own schedule all of the time. Go where you want to go and see and do what you want off the beaten path on your own time.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

Since you are a solo traveler and sound like an adventurer, you might have luck hitchhiking on St. John. Search this forum, that mode of transportation gets some discussion time. Also, regarding ferry - we didn't get charged a fee on the ferry for our backpacks on our last trip. Have a great trip.

kod
Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car rental or taxi for long weekend?

I would not waste a whole day doing the Reef Bay Hike which does not have views.My suggestion is to rent a car and do Rams Head hike which has spectacular views throughout. Then you can swim and snorkel at Salt Pond. If you are fit you could then go to Waterlemon.You need to understand that the water at Waterlemon can be rough esp at that time of year.In fact Cinnamon can be rough even in the spring and summer.Francis and Maho are calmer.Having a vehicle increases your options.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...