We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

I am having a hard time deciding where to rent our car. I've heard that it's good to do on St Thomas, because groceries and such are cheaper. I've heard that it's better to do on St John in case you have any issues with your car...HELP me make this decision, please!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

If there are more than 2 of you, then you may want to rent on STT. Grocery shop before heading to the car barge. It also depends on your arrival and departure times on STT. Whether they coincide with the ferry schedule. www.vinow.com

Hertz doesn't allow their cars on the barge. Either way, reserve well in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

Many people rent on St. Thomas but we prefer renting on St. John. We've experienced mechanical trouble withour jeep a few years ago and it was difficult enough getting a differnt jeep on St. John. Can't imagine what it would be like having to deal with getting a replacement from St Thomas. Plus while we don't mind driving on st John, the extra traffic on St Thomas is another reason we don't rent there.

Good luck!

St. John
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

When we are staying for a long time or have a large group to feed we usually rent our car on St Thomas (through Dependable Car Rental), shop at Cost-U-Less (which is like a stateside Costco, but not with the vast variety or freshness). Check with your car rental agency to make sure that you can take your car on the barge and also make sure to check the barge schedule (greatexpectationsusvi.com/st-john-usvi/trans…) which does not run as late as the people ferry.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

We rent on St. Thomas, from a company that rents only new vehicles and who we trust will help us if we were to run into trouble. Amalie is the company. They told us that if we were to have a breakdown on STJ, there is a number on their key fob to call. Their service in general is so fantastic, that I have no doubt they'd carry through if we had a problem.

http://www.amaliecar.com/index.htm

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

Click onto the St John forum and top right you'll find a "top questions" discussion on exactly this subject.

6. Re: Jeep rental...St Thomas or St John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, March 03, 2014