We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short visit to St John

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Short visit to St John

I'm going to be on a cruise ship (not my favorite way to travel, but...) that stops in St Thomas and I'd like to get to St. John for an afternoon of snorkeling. I figure I'll have about 3 1/2 hours round trip from Cruz Bay. So I need to balance wanting good snorkeling (i.e., coral) with needing someplace that's a short taxi ride. I've been on the Cruz Critic site but they are mostly cruisers who don't have much experience with St. John as a whole.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short visit to St John

Take taxi to Trunk bay. Easy back and forth

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short visit to St John

Three and a half hours? Much as I love St. John, if that's really the case, I wouldn't bother.

It will take nearly two hours transit time just getting to Cruz Bay and back. At best, it will take another half-hour in taxis to and from Trunk Bay.

However, I don't think I've ever heard of such a small time window for ships docked in St. Thomas.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short visit to St John

I just tried to edit my post, but took too much time doing it, so naturally TripAdvisor simply discarded everything I had typed. There are things about this site that could be greatly improved.

Anyway, I think I have realized that what you're saying is that you have 3 1/2 hours on St. John, in which case 2-3 hours at the beach is feasible. You might consider Hawksnest instead of Trunk. It's a little bit closer, and has lots of coral close to the beach (be careful not to scrape yourself on it, as much of it is in shallow water).

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short visit to St John

Hawksnest Bay is a 5 minute taxi ride from Cruz Bay. There is a nice reef right off shore. if you are going in the Winter months, there may be some swell on the North Shore beaches.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short visit to St John

Thanks. I had been thinking Hawksnest or Cinnamon. I'm afraid Trunk will be the most crowded and I've heard that the coral there is in bad shape.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short visit to St John

With such limited time on a cruise ship stop, Sapphire or Secret Harbour are your best snorkeling options on STT. Given such a short stop, getting over to STJ and back just isn't, in my opinion, worth it.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short visit to St John

I agree, it's not worth going to St. John.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short visit to St John

3 1/2 hours on St. John is 3 1/2 hours of delight! I'd pick up a sandwich from Deli Grotto in Mongoose Junction, and go to Cinnamon where you can buy cold drinks on the beach. There are always taxis waiting there, as well, to take you back to the ferry.

HANG your lunch sack in a tree to keep the mongoose dem out!

9. Re: Short visit to St John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, February 06, 2014