We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

new england
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

Any words of wisdom re. the iffy forecast for much of next week? It looks like possible/probable rain for most of my trip--I know that St. John's been getting more rain than is normal.

Would you still allow yourself to fantasize about sunny beach time , or would you be resigned to a lot of bridge and Bananagrams?

Sincerely,

"Tragic"

Bardstown, Kentucky
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

This mainly off topic but it's fun to see that several of us are going to be in STJ next week . . . 2 days 23 hours 16 minutes to touchdown . . . I can almost feel my toes in the sand and a drink in my hand . . . aaaahhhh

ri
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

When we were there last Jan the reports stated 72 mostly cloudy with 40% rain. We found we had one cold day where I would not go in the water. the rest of our trip was sunny, light breeze and 77-78. It was a far greater than what folks at home were getting and what the report was predicting. Weather there is forever changing. Rain and clouds pass over and are gone just a quickly. I do recall hearing about a week of rain last year that flooded a friends apartment on STT and hope (for your sake) it was just an off week. I am not going until early next May and have some concerns as I have never been that time of year. lol. Hope you have a great time!

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
699 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

I keep looking for the "Like" button on so many of the posts. LOL

I used to look and worry about the weather forecasts until I realized there is nothing you can do about the weather. You aren't supossed to worry on your vacation. Rain or shine, you will be in paradise, away from the every day hectic lifestyle we all lead. You will enjoy your trip (and, yes, I have been there when there was a rain pattern that sat over the island, but we made the best of it and still snorkeled in the rain!). Enjoy your trip and fingers crossed for good weather. We, too will be there starting April 14.

Cheers!

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

Just popped back in to say- the forecast is looking a bit brighter for this week all of a sudden! Yes, it's out of our control regardless... but it's still nice to see some sun on the 10-day forecast instead of rain and clouds every day. :)

Have a good trip, everyone.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

Just returned from St John. First 3 days were cloudy and the snorkeling was not great. Last 4 days were brilliant.

Glad we scheduled 8 nights instead of 7. Next time we'll schedule 10 if we can swing it. That way, I can relax more about the weather. I, too was worried because there was 8 days of rain before we arrived (per another TA report.) My husband wasn't worried because he figured the system was mostly rained out. Us worriers really suffer, don't we.

I also learned that a gorgeous view from our villa (Coconut Breeze) contributed enormously to the island experience. We had a very long, covered veranda too.

Our grown kids did a lot of hiking which was less hot in cloudy weather. That's something my knees won't allow, but maybe others can do in iffy weather instead of snorkeling.

One more thing to consider. Get out really early to snorkel when the sun is shining and the water is calm. Weather may change and at least you've enjoyed one snorkel for the day.

Hope you have a great vacation!

Edited: 12:15 pm, April 06, 2012
16. Re: One of those whiny "Is the weather going to be bad?" posts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, June 19, 2013