We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

Hi -- You mentioned you stayed at both Sugar Bay and Frenchman's Reef. We're staying one night in STT after our week in St. John (for flight reasons) -- we're trying to decide between those two places to stay. Not much else to choose from still available it turns out, although both look nice. What did you think of them?

We'll be ferrying over from St. John (sob, miss it already before we even get there) one afternoon, staying the night at one of those places, and then leaving the next AM.

We're traveling with a 2-year old and his grandparents, so we have both the older and younger generation in tow.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Laurie

Looking forward to St. John Trip #4!

Caneel Trailside Cottage, late March 2006

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

hi maddie: definately stay at he marriott. sugar bay has really gone downhill in the last 6-7 years. my husband and i decided to stay in stt (also because of the ease of our morning flight) but also to bring back some old memories... our first trip together was to stt and we stayed at the wyndam. it was fine then... but when we checked in for our overnight two years ago, and we checked back out in 3 minutes. our room was absolutely disgusting, the grounds were not kept up and the staff was quite rude.

my husband called the marriott and we checked in there immediately. our room was very nice, clean (they upgraded us to a suite b/c they felt so bad for us) they have a great pool and a very nice deck that overlooks the ocean and marina. The beach is nice there (certainly not up to stj standards but good for stt. the only drawback is that the beach is a little bit of a haul... down quite a few steep steps from the hotel. might be a trek for a toddler for elderly people, but overall, we really had a very nice experience there. other than that, the only other suggestion is the ritz. after a week in stj, we spent 3 nights in a suite there for our honeymoon and it was lovely. hope this helps.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

Thank you SO much for that response! We were booked at Sugar Bay already and were thinking about switching to the Marriott because it looked nicer ... this is definitely very useful information. We're going to switch. Thank you so much!!

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

Maddie: I'm so glad that I was able to spare you and your family the same disater that we encountered! I'm sure uou'll enjoy the Marriott quite a bit. Where are you staying on STJ?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

We're staying at Caneel Trailside ... brand-new ... haven't talked to anyone who has stayed there so no idea what to expect but it looks nice.

Counting the days!!!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for StJohnaholic re: one night in STT

An update ... we got nervous about the Marriott too after reading the reviews on this site. St. Thomas hotels just don't seem up to par. Then we found out that Caneel wasn't even much more expensive -- we were able to get a room there for $395 -- even less than the Westin. So that was an easy call!

There's probably no other way we could check out Caneel Bay, because we couldn't afford more than one night, and because there's no TV (essential for us traveling with a toddler). So this is a chance to stay there, avoid St. Thomas altogether except for the airport -- and we're even using the Caneel water taxi service, wooooo!

So that's EIGHT days we'll be in St. John, not seven!

Laurie

St. John Bound in March