We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike to North Shore Beaches

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Hike to North Shore Beaches

Is it possible to be dropped off by bus on centerline road and then hike on the trails to the north shore beaches? What beaches can you hike to from Cruz Bay, given a distance of 4 miles? Is better to stay in cruz bay or maho/ cinnamon bay? or split the two?

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

From Cruz Bay you can hike the Lindt Point trail to beautiful Solomon Beach. Just a little further on the trail is Honeymoon Beach. Check out trailbandit.org for more trail options!

It is best to take an open taxi ride along the Northshore road to get to Trunk, Cinnamon & Maho. If you like to camp, Cinnamon & Maho Bay Camps are the way to go!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

The bus doesn't go Centerline route. Taxi is your easiest option for getting there.

If you like to hike/beach, you're better off staying at Maho, IMO. You're within short hiking distances to several beaches, and for a longer hike, there's a trail from Waterlemon to Coral Bay. You can also hike to Cinnamon from Maho.

A longer hike from Cruz Bay is the Caneel Hill trail. If Caneel closes again this Sep/Oct like they did last year, this is a MUST hike!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

Hi dic12 -

Hiking/walking on St. John is a lot of fun and the volunteers that that maintain and improve the trails along with the VI Nation Park that provides signage is doing an excellent job! There are some trails that descend from Centerline Road that are marked with signs. They include Caneel and Cinnamon Bays. It appears that "new" trails are being added. I see new signs and well maintained paths that are not on any map that leave from tboth the north shore and ceneterline roads as we drive past. I haven't been on them (yet).

My wife and I explore these trails especially those that are associated with ruins .We post photos on our blog, called Photo Mondays from these excursions, plus other StJ images. PM me if you need help finding it.

It is possible to be dropped off by the $1.00 VITRAN bus but knowing when to signal it to stop at the speed it is traveling may make this very difficult. An open air taxi is a better suggestion or even hitchhiking (by pointing your index finger in the direction you would like to travel) are better options.

MSGC's Lind Point trail is an excellent suggestion as is checking out the Trail Bandit, http://www.trailbandit.org/bandit.htm. This trail leaves from the VI National Park's Visitor Center making it convienent in Cruz Bay. Another good choice is Caneel Hill trail. This also leaves from Cruz Bay, just past Mongoose Junction (a shopping center) and adjacent to the maintenace HQ of the National Park. You'll want to carry plenty of water.

Your choices of where to stay all have advantages/disadvantages. Very generally, Cruz Bay puts you close to the "city" action, Cinnamon Bay has you camping on the beach while Maho Bay has you camping in a "tree house." The beaches (and toys) at these locations vary widely too and may impact your decision where to stay. Cruz Bay has busy marine traffic. Frank Bay, near Cruz Bay is a rubble beach with a small sandy spot that is popular, especially at sunset. Cinnamon is a long white sandy beach and is my favorite. Maho beach at the camplground is small but there are adjacent beaches that more than make up for this.

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

Thanks for the info! So, it looks like I can hike to salomon/honeymoon through lindt point trail. The caneel trail can get me to caneel bay and hawksnest bay?

It sounds like it is hard to get the bus to stop on the road from cruz bay to coral bay. I don't know the name of that road. If it can stop on the road, it looks like one could access trails to bordeaux peak or the reef bay trail or maria hope trail. I am looking at the book, St. John Off the Beaton Track.

Anyone been on the tektite trail or snorkeling around beehive cove?

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

There are several hikes to North Shore beaches (and South Shore beaches) that can be done from the $1 bus. Instead of trying to get the bus to stop, tell the driver when you get on where you would like him to stop. Centerline Rd. is the road that goes from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay on which the bus travels. From this road you can access the trail to Cinnamon Bay. You can also access the Maria Hope Trail. To hike the Maria Hope trail, get off the bus at the Reef Bay Trailhead and look for a small rock with MH painted on it in white at the eastern end of the parking area. It is a downhill hike to Maho Bay. From Maho you can take the goat trail up to the campground. If you stay on the bus into Coral Bay and get off at the Moravian church, you can hike the Johnny Horn trail to Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay. If you stay on the bus for the entire ride, you will end up at Salt Pond Bay and the Ram's Head Trail. The Trail Bandit Map, http://www.trailbandit.org/bandit.htm, shows a trail from Centerline to Peace Hill which would give you access to Denis Bay.

Using the bus you can also access Lamshur Bay via the Reef Bay or Bordeaux Mountain trails. From these beaches you can walk the road back to Salt Pond to pick up the bus. If you don't mind hiking, you can get all over the island via the $1 bus. The bus gets some bad press on the forums. We must just be lucky as we have used it extensively without issue and have had some great conversations with the island residents in the process.

vermont
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

Excellent info!! I'd rather take the bus and hike. It's better for the environment and the body and much more simple. One really can get around St. John without a car.

7. Re: Hike to North Shore Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 12, 2010