We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving St. John

st.louis,mo
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scuba diving St. John

Recommend a dive operator close to Concordia eco -tent who offers dive packages>

Boston
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving St. John

I really don't think there is much of that. I would google something on this idea and see what comes up. Also try the forums on VINOW.com, maybe you'll have better luck. Many of us who visit STJ go snorkling which you can easily do on your own or go as part of a daysail package.

United States
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving St. John

Carol, have you talked to the people at Concordia? I see that there are scuba programs at Maho and of course Maho and Concordia are closely related. Here is a link to the Maho scuba program page;

http://maho.org/Scuba.cfm

Hope you have a great trip to St John and lets hope the Cards pick it up for the post-season.

Nantucket...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving St. John

Back in 1990 I got certified by Low Key Watersports in Cruz Bay. I remember it being a pretty good operation.

Stopped in last December and it was much different. They seemed to have a strange attitude; kind of condescending, almost snooty.

I haven't used them lately. Wondering if anyone else can chime in on how they were treated.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
444 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving St. John

Hi St. Louis from fellow Missourian in Kansas City!

We are planning our first trip to STJ this summer and asked about scuba diving certification on the island...we were given quite a few high recommendations for LowKey. You may want to try and find my post from here and VIOL to read the reommendations...it may help!

Have a great trip!

Jo

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving St. John

I have dove with both LowKey & Cruz Bay Watersports. Both are good operations. I prefer Cruz Bay Watersports (boats located at the Westin), because they only take certified divers in the mornings. (I've had my mask and/or regulator kicked off more than once by a RESORT diver.)

That said, I did my Advance Certification with LowKey in the mid 90's. And still dive with them from time to time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving St. John

I've had a number of friends enjoy diving with Colette with 6 Paq - http://www.6paqscuba.com/

Kiddel Bay, right near you, is also a great shore diving spot. I don't know if anyone does tank fills or tank rentals in Coral Bay, but 6 Paq has done shore dives there.

Cheers, RickG

Iowa
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba diving St. John

We were there in March. I second your "snotty" thoughts!! They were rude and not cooperative at all! We had a party of 10 - most dove every day for 9 days. We spend ALOT of money there. I would NOT use them again! I was scheduled for an expensive dive. I ended up breaking a bone in my foot the day before. It was black and blue. I went to them and showed them and asked to be excused. They said they wouldn't refund it because they could have sold my spot. When the rest of my group went on the trip - they were told the trip wasn't full. They even told me that I could dive with my foot the way it was. My husband is a podiatrist - he advised against it. He told them that and they wouldn't budge. That was just one of the many complaints our group had with them.

st.louis,mo
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba diving St. John

Thanks for the advice. There are 6 of us going in Feb. Be glad to let you know when we get back.

st.louis,mo
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba diving St. John

Thanks for the link - I'll look into it. Yes, hope the Cards pick it up!

10. Re: Scuba diving St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 08, 2010