We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport to st john

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passport to st john

Some info please. We want to go tenting on St. Johns. How do we get there from ,say Miami or Ft Myers, and do we need a passport? Anyone got an idea of what Airlines would be best?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport to st john

To get to St John (no S) you fly to St Thomas and take a ferry over to STJ

You do not need a passport to go to any of the US Virgin Islands but will need one if you plan to visit any of the nearby British Virgin Islands.

Most of the major airlines fly to St Thomas, just do a quick search of any of them or orbitz, etc. and you should find plenty of flights.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport to st john

I was under the impression that this fall you will need a passport.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport to st john

While the rules seem to change every few months, the video briefing in the security line at STT airport stated that no passport was required. You can call the CBP at the airport regarding the regulations when you travel - (340) 774-4554

Cheers, RickG

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport to st john

You do not need a passport to enter the USVI from the US mainland. However, you should be PREPARED to offer upon leaving to return to the mainland, proof of citizenship and proof of identity. If you do not have a passport you should carry with you a raised seal birth certificate to establish your citizenship AND a government-issued photo ID such as a state driver's license.

These are the rules currently in effect and so far there has been no notice of any impending change. Lots of rumor and speculation but nothing official! Cheers!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport to st john

Sorry, I should have added that in the event you do not have a passport and want to travel by boat to the British Virgin Islands while you are in the USVI, you will be able to get in with the same documentation that you should carry with you for departing USVI to US mainland. Although most of the charter boats are advertising that a passport is REQUIRED for entry to the BVI, they're just preparing for the inevitable. Right now you are REQUIRED to have a passport to enter the BVI by air but the rules to enter by sea are as stated above. Cheers!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport to st john

Although all the information provided is correct. It is really easier to just get a passport. It makes passing though customs in STT much easier and faster the same goes for it you decide to travel to the BVIs by boat. Again, not required but certainly more convenient.

B.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport to st john

The govt is now issuing a "passport card" for travel to the carribbean.

…state.gov/passport/…ppt_card_3926.html

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport to st john

Larry: this card is for Caribbean residents to facilitate easy inter-island travel and has nothing to do with visitors.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport to st john

OOooops...........your right.

I guess that's why I'm not an "expert"..

PS: I think every traveler should have an official passport. Think of high alert hysteria and they won't let you go back home without one.

:)

Columbia...
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport to st john

I am going to St.John in June.. Do i need to get a passport ? I am flying from Baltimore to San Juan then San Juan to St.John