We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beginner's hiking

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Good beginner's hiking

Hi,

We're about to leave for our second trip to St. John. On the first one, we spent a lot of time just hanging out on the beach. For this one, we'd like to do a little hiking. But we're older now and neither of us is in particularly great shape. Is the guided Reef Bay hike appropriate? Can anyone suggest any other easy half-day hikes?

Northern NH
Level Contributor
322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good beginner's hiking

You should get the book "St. John: Feet, Fins and Forue wheel drive" - it tells about the length and difficulty of each trail - it was our "bible" when we were there - samoka

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good beginner's hiking

The National Park rangers who lead the Reef Bay hike do it at a leisurely pace, and make sure that nobody lags too far behind. Though the trail is rather rocky, it's still very doable with appropriate footwear to keep you stable. It's also downhill with a boat trip back to Cruz Bay. If you don't do it with the park rangers, you'll have to hike back up the trail, which probably isn't as easy.

The Lind Point trail behind the NPS Center is also very easy, and would be a good starter trail. It's short with good views, and a lovely beach (Honeymoon) at the end. Go to lunch at Caneel afterwards to reward yourself for "roughing it!"

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
753 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good beginner's hiking

There's a very easy hike from the Annaberg ruins out to Waterlemon Cay. Good snorkeling once you get there. Also, if you're feeling like you want a bit more, you can continue on the trail up the hill a bit to the ruins overlooking Waterlemon. Great view of the north shore and over to Tortola.

Grand Isle, VT
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good beginner's hiking

There are all sorts of hikes and short walks available to you. Here are a couple links to check out on line. Another good guide book available is "St John, Off the Beaten Path". Just remember to bring water and a decent pair of walking shoes/sneakers. I can't think of any trail on St John that would require hiking boots.

http://www.seestjohn.com

This site is put up by the author of "St John, Off the Beaten Path" and has much of the info from the book is on the web site plus all sorts of other info. John is a great student of St John history.

http://www.trailbandit.org/

This is a somewhat controversial site as its' author and the National Park have a somewhat tenuous relationship. If you follow some of the posts on the VI forums by doing a search for Trail Bandit you will see what I mean. But it is a good source of hiking info.

The Lind Point trail was a great suggestion. There are several hikes that reward with beaches at the end.

Have a wonderful time.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good beginner's hiking

You have gotten excellent advice and had the best book and online sources suggested to you. You should easily be able to find something that suits your individual preference. All that being said, I'll gladly throw in a suggestion.

Most hikes on St John are doable by anyone in moderate shape if they travel at their on pace and hydrate properly. The one I'll suggest is certainly not flat, but it has several nice payoffs. The Rams Head Trail is one of my favorites and well worth doing. There are two spots along the trail, Salt Pond and Blue Cobblestone, where you can refresh yourself with a swim or snorkel. The view from the top of Rams Head is wonderful and well worth the hike. I do not consider the elevations of this trail to be extreme, especially if you pace yourself and rest whenever needed.

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good beginner's hiking

Thanks to all for your replies. We leave tomorrow, so I don't know if we'll be able to get the book in time. But it sounds like we shouldn't have a problem finding a couple of fun walks/hikes.

Northern NH
Level Contributor
322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good beginner's hiking

You will be able to buy both books on STJ - have a great time and enjoy paradise - samoka

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good beginner's hiking

sleepymike, you can get to seestjohn.com today and print information to take with you. That site is a gem.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good beginner's hiking

Lind Point to Salomon and Honeymoon Bays, then walk to Caneel and take a cab back to your car. The Cinnamon Bay nature trail. Frances Bay trail, Leimiester Trail to Waterlemon Bay. Rams Head is not a beginners hike fro someone that is not in good shape although it is a spectacular hike and my favorite. Tektite Trail to Cabrite Point is moderate for someone out of shape.

10. Re: Good beginner's hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 17, 2009