We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maho Bay Camps

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Maho Bay Camps

Hi I am looking into Maho bay camps, does anyone know the cost of transportation from ferry, is it easy to get a cab to town once there and how pricey?

Also, I am bringing my 16 year old daughter, are there many young people there?

Any input would be appreciated as to things to do.

Thanks

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maho Bay Camps

The campgrounds usually have families with kids of all ages. Not a lot to do beside snorkel and swin and outdoor stuff. Maho is mid-island between the two towns.

taxi rates links are posted by Stjohnjulie under thread titled know taxi rates

Stuart, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Maho Bay Camps

There are lots of kids at Maho Bay. I was there in June and there were alot of families there- also the young people working in the work -program there.

Maho has an open air taxi that runs back and forth from the ferry. Cost is about $7.00 - but it depends on how many people and the # of bags you are carrying- my advice: don't take too much- you won't need it, a few pair of shorts, a swimsuit and cover-up- You won't need to dress up.

The taxi service runs every hour and makes stops at all the different beaches and sites; Hamilton also operates another taxi service that includes great snorkeling day trips/ evening

trips and island tours- You don't really need a car at all.

I took my own snorkel gear- cost to rent is about $5.00/day;

This was an item that I used every day so it was well worth carrying; For my next trip I plan to buy a 30" duffle bag with wheels- It will hold everything and alot more than conventional luggage. Maho will supply you with bath towels, but take a few extra beach towels

islamorad,fl
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Maho Bay Camps

I have stayed at the Maho Bay camps and the experience was enlightening. The best way to get around st. john's is to rent a car. you take a ferry from st. thomas and i dont recall the price being expensive. the drive up the hill to maho camps is trickey so make sure you are comftorable driving on the left hand side of the road, up a mountain, no lights at night and lots of switchbacks. there is nothing to do at night and i would not reccomend young american girls be out alone ever (in the town the camp is fine). The locals are friendly but a girl should always keep her guard up. you can visit the starfish market in town for everything you need and d take a trip to virgin gourda to the baths it is amazing but bring your passports because they are in the brittish isles. the beaces are amazing on st. johns and trunk bay is one of the best. maho bay itself does not have much of a beach. i hope this helps. have a great trip