We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Mandeville...
1 post
Save Topic
car rental

We will be staying on St John for 6 nights, Should we rent a car or is there a shuttle service?

6 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,074 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Absolutely yes to the car. There's no shuttle service that I know of, public transportation is unreliable, while taxis charge per person and won't even go to some parts of the island. Having your own wheels is not only necessary but priceless!

Edited: 4:00 pm, April 29, 2017
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Do not use L&L Jeep rental

Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Rent a JEEP. Conrad Sutton is the best. Its cheaper with newer jeeps. Free parking close to all the action. Nice people. I just rented a 4 door jeep this week for $510 plus tax.

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
431 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

You really do want a vehicle. If you do not, you would be missing so so much. Get out and explore the island at your leisure. Stop at different beaches. See the ruins, the stunning views. The island has a variety of places to stop and have a drink and or something to eat. There is Cruz Bay which we love but there is Coral Bay on the other side of the island which is very much different and should not be missed. Such as Skinny's, Shipwreck, Miss Lucy's, and more. I really could not imagine going to St John without being mobile and to do it at our own pace. St John is a special island with many hiking trails too. Enjoy it to it's fullest. You will not be disappointed and you will quickly know that you did the right thing when you rented a vehicle.

Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

I HIGHLY recommend getting a rental, and the best we've had is "Discount Car Rental" they pick you up right at the airport (and drop you off)! Also if you want to go to St. John (which I highly recommend) you'll need to rent a Jeep, I recommend the hardtops for AC purposes.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! You can rent on STT and take the car barge over. Amalie on STT gets stellar reviews. We loved the easy pickup/ dropoff process and newer jeeps. Since it sounds like this might be your first visit, you might want rent on STJ instead. We loved our experience renting from St. John Car Rental this last visit.

Reply to: car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...