We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please: getting to St. John

Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please: getting to St. John

Between finding a flight and coordinating the ferry schedule, I am going nuts! We are planning to go to Cruz Bay (Lindholm estates)Any advice on best airlines, which ferry to take (fromRed Hook or Charlotte Amalie? How much is the taxi to get from airport to the ferries? Seems like a coordination nightmare!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

Sorry no drinks allowed on the people ferry - but they do sell liquor on one of the car ferries (go figure) :)

Pia

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

I've been doing this trip -- DC to San Juan to St. Thomas to Red Hook ferry to St. John for 25 years!!! It's not bad. In fact, it is soooo much fun. When you get to St. John you feel like you're a million miles away -- and getting there is definitely worth the effort.

I use American Airlines, but it just depends what you can get locally. Just take the earliest flight you can take, so if you have delays it won't make as much difference. I usually arrive in mid afternoon, but last time was delayed and didn't get on the ferry until long after dark. It was an awesome trip across calm waters with the tradewinds blowing and the night sky as clear as a photograph.

Your choices:

taxi from the airport to Charlotte Amalie and take the ferry. The taxi ride is shorter and cheaper, but the boat ride is longer and more expensive and the ferry doesn't run as often from this dock.

taxi from the airport to Red Hook and take the ferry. The taxi ride is about 30 minutes and more expensive, but the boat ride is cheaper and shorter (15 minutes), and the ferry runs many times each day and into the night.

Honestly, it doesn't make much difference. I've done both and enjoyed both. And Estate Lindholm is a very special place with two great beaches in walking distance down the hill. Don't miss snorkeling at Trunk Bay and Hawksnest. Have dinner at Asolare or Equator in the Caneel Bay Resort...there are some great places in Cruz Bay, too. Explore and enjoy!!

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

No, there is no bar on the ferry.

Georgia
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

I've just begun to research a little for a possible trip to SJ next summer. Hubby has some mobility limitations, so that is a factor for us. We've never visited any of the VI.

In one thread, someone posted that the taxis on St. Thomas are "benches on the back of a truck," which we probably would not be able to do. I can't imagine there not being a better way to get from the airport to the ferry, but that is what was posted in the other thread. In this thread, vans are mentioned. Could someone confirm for us that we can indeed get a taxi that is a car or van? Husband can walk short distances with a cane and can climb a few steps, but uses a lightweight folding chair for longer distances. Very rough rides would be difficult for him. We do travel some every summer and manage OK, with some modifications from what the average traveler could do. OT, but needed info: If feasible, we might also like to take a daytrip to one of the BVI, as well as a driving tour of SJ. Any suggestions for those?

Someone mentioned in another thread that the ferry from Charlotte is over rougher water than the one from Red Hook. ??

Off-topic, but also: We are trying to decide whether to try for the Westin (timeshare exchange). We spend more time at the resort than the average couple, so would this be a good choice for us? We plan to use taxis rather than rent a car. I understand the beach is man-made, but you can't have everything, I guess! :) I think there are several restaurants or cafes on the property, and the property looks beautiful in the pix. Any thoughts or advice concerning any aspect of a trip to SJ for our particular situation?

Is there a better Carribean destination for us than SJ? It looks beautiful and unique!!

All comments or advice are appreciated! Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

I understand the mobility challenge. My Father loves St. John and has had knee replacement and spinal fusion - he is not very mobile! But, he can walk up some steps if he needs to.

The St. Thomas airport taxis are large vans and will work well with someone who can get in and out of a car. Wheelchairs are not a good STJ or STT fit.

On St. John, I would strongly recommend that you rent a vehicle. If not, then Caneel Bay is probably the best place for you since you can take their shuttle on the grounds.

For accessible beaches, my Father prefers Hawksnest, Maho and Francis Bays.

Good luck!

Cheers, RickG

Georgia
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

Thanks--

17. Re: Advice please: getting to St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay