We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

I'm trying to plan a St. John honeymoon late April to early May and am having a hard time deciding between these two areas. I love the seclusion of the Coral Bay villas and the breathtaking views but I also like the convenience of being near all the restaurants/shops on the Cruz Bay side. Is it truly a pain to drive back and forth between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay? Do people typically stick to the side they're on?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

We are looking forward to our first trip to St., John in 10 days! After 10 months of reading this forum, I am pretty sure you can't go too far wrong wherever you decide to stay!

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

My wife and I spent a week just past Coral Bay and drove back to Cruz Bay every day to go diving. In the afternoons we generally did some snorkeling and sightseeing at different beaches along the north shore. We didn't find the drive to be a problem at all.

It may be worth noting that we generally headed back for dinner at the villa or a nearby restaurant, and you might feel differently if you're doing the drive in the dark every night. The drive may also interfere with your preferences for drinks with dinner. My wife got her first chance to drive on the left after I decided my first Baileys Banana Colada was good enough that I should have another one on the only night we stayed for dinner in Cruz Bay.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

We have a timeshare at the Westin for a week in April, and typically extend it for another 5 days or so by renting a villa in Coral Bay. We don't find the drive too much of a pain - quite often we will go to the East End or South Shore while staying at the Westin. But I will say that typically we will have dinner on the side of the island we are on. There's enough places in Coral Bay to eat for a week (easily, especially if you are cooking some at the villa). It is nice to do some shopping in Cruz Bay, and the sunsets are great from the Beach Bar or Joe's Rum Hut, so I might spend at least one evening in Cruz Bay if I were in Coral bay, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. But that's just us. We have read several reviews that say that people miss Cruz Bay if they are staying on the Coral Bay side. Good luck

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

We are Coral Bay folks 10+ years and counting (just rented 2 weeks in August for 11th year).

Cruz Bay is a nice little town to walk around, grab some appetizers, bar hop, enjoy Happy Hours (that start around 3PM), enjoy some live music, etc. We usually do that one late afternoon/evening and we employ a designated driver, (generally me)! I might have 1-2 drinks but stop way before we head back to Coral Bay after dark.

Coral Bay has restaurants, bars and weekends you can usually find some live music to enjoy.

What we have found over the years is that our villas are so amazing and gorgeous it is sometimes difficult to come out of the villa after a day @ the beach!

Our first trip we stayed in North Shore, but ended up in Coral Bay almost everyday! So, it's just a matter of what you like to do, you can't go wrong with either and just take the time to enjoy both.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

My preference is to be on the north shore and or cruz bay area and explore the whole island during the day. That is just my preference , coral bay has it' s own quirkey charm and beauty but not a whole lot of options /amenities.

It really all depends on what you and your fiance want.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

We do both. My lover prefers Cruz Bay side and I prefer Coral Bay/East End/Kiddel Bay - the further out the better. We do both and I do the driving. To me its a false choice, the villa is a more important choice. I'm a morning person and my lady is not.

A great compromise Ajax Peak - closer to Cruz Bay, 5 minutes from North Shore beaches and close to Coral Bay.

Cheers, RickG

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

I like staying on the Cruz Bay side on the South Shore. Chcoloate Hole, Gift Hill, Rendezvous areas.

It is the perfect mix for me. There are great villas with beautiful views and privacy and I am 10 minutes to town for all of my favorite restaurants, shops, and bars.

We tried Coral Bay once, I will not do that again. It is just too far for me to drive at night.

East Coast
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

If you think you both would enjoy villa gravity days I would choose Coral Bay. Our first trip was for our 25th Anniversary. We stayed at Mooncottage in Coral Bay. We had the villa provisioned and did not want to leave it for the first couple of days. The view and villa were so amazing we could not pull ourselves away.

If you think you will be on the go then I would choose something else. We are considering taking our kids next trip.

I think the adult sons may enjoy Cruz Bay better. Only because it will give them a place to get away from Mom and Dad. When our son gets married we are planning on paying for their Honeymoon. I would suggest to them Coral Bay for that trip. But I know them.

Congratulations on your engagement!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

Something you might want to consider is your tolerance for rough roads and driveways. Some of the Coral Bay villas require a time commitment for commuting back and forth to the main roads. The distance might not be that great but the rough road conditions can make for slow going.

Location in the greater Coral Bay area makes a difference too. The East End can be a 45 minute drive to Cruz Bay. Even to go to the North Shore beaches, it is a hike. If you are into exploring, that adds up to a lot of time driving.

I fall into the Coral Bay is too far to drive at night camp because we like to go out to eat in the evenings.

We stayed on Mamey Peak two years ago at this house and I thought the location was the perfect –

http://bayrumbreeze.com/

We could drop down into Coral Bay and the North Shore beaches with ease and it was an easy drive home at night from Cruz Bay.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Cruz Bay vs Coral Bay Thread

We stayed in Coral Bay (Reef Madness) this past December, and while it is absolutely beautiful, we found ourselves not spending any time at the villa, because we wanted to either be on the north shore snorkeling, or in Cruz Bay just checking things out.

If I had a longer visit, then I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Coral Bay again, but for our upcoming visit, we're looking at either staying in Cruz Bay proper, or closer to Chocolate Hole. I just feel like we ate up a lot of precious time driving back and forth, sometimes twice a day.

It really depends on what you're looking for I guess. For us, we liked to snorkel during the day, go back to the villa to relax, clean up and have a drink, then head out to dinner, where we would most likely have a couple more drinks, followed up by a place to listen to music. It just didn't make sense for us.