We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long st johns /virgin islands

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
how long st johns /virgin islands

how long st john / virgin islands

today, 11:38

hey guys i need your help, i have never been to the carribbean before,

I have chosen St John and st Barts as a possible combination .

i just need to know how long i need on st john, we would like to explore the outer islands as well

whilst there, ie.. virgin goda and the other snorkelling island , cant think of the name starts with an "a"

we will probably get a villa and definitely a jeep to explore,

if anyone has a suggestion for a villa for just the two of us that would be helpful as well

we cannot afford really expensive perhaps $350.00 per night it will be high season though

i know its the wrong time to go to get a bargain...

Thanks for all your help..

any suggested itineraries would be great as well

thanks so much

Kim

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

IMO, if you have three weeks or more, you can do both. The only issue will be in Virgin islands and where you want to base if you do want to go to Anegada. If you base in St. John, you can day trip to Jost Van Dyke to have a great beach bar day and day trip to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths. Anegada is not as accessible and really have to take the ferry from VG which almost requires 2 nights on VG. It is a beautiful island though and worth going if you can work it in.

It will just take some work with flight schedules to see what is possible. I'm pretty sure you can fly from St. Maarten to Beef Island, Tortola. If you flew into SXM and then either ferried or flew St. Barth Commuter over to St. Barth and spend a week or 10 days ($350 a night may be tough given Euro uplift and high season but look at small villas and the smaller inns). St. Barth is our favorite and will offer nightlife, great beaches, food and shopping. Then ferry or fly back to SXM and fly to either St. Thomas or Tortola. If you do want to do Anegada, ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda and plan on three nights. Spend one day exploring and seeing the Bathsa and the other going to Anegada. Then ferry to St. John and spend the rest of your time and fly home out of St. Thomas. Some may say base a few days in Tortola instead of VG and it is very easy to do day trips out of Tortola to VG, Jost although I'm not sure about the Tortola-Anegada ferry. Really personal preference there.

You'll spend some time moving around but you are coming a long way and have the time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

that is really really helpful, thankyou so much ..

so do you think for a first timer that st barts and st johns/virgin islands is a good sample of the carribean

?

are they your favourites

Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

May i suggest Hillcret guest house? Right in cruz bay. The owner is a lovely lady and it is acyually 5 individual apartments. Looks wonderful, gets great reviews and much more affordable than what you are pricing things. No pool, but you can walk to a couple of beaches in a few minutes. You can take the dollar bus lots of other places,mor just grab a taxi. We are spending 5 weeks this winter at hillcrest and do not plan on renting a car more than a day here, a day there. Best part is it is just a few blocks from downtown cruz bay where all the ferries leave from. And a few minutes walk to the national park rangers office. This is our third time to st. John, but first time staying so long and first time at hillcrest apartments.

We are doing several day trips. We are booked with Nancy on Stormy Petrel for virgin gorda, cooper island and jost can dyke. We hope to take the ferry the first sunday in january to anegada. And plan on visitng the beaches all over st. John and st. Thomas. Maybe we will visit tortola again, too

We are also spending 3 weeks on st. Martin, in grand case, on the french side, which is the gourmet capitol of the caribbean, so they say. Never been there before. We are renting a condo on the beach, very affordable. We alo plan to visit anguilla, st. Barths and a few other islands from there. Good luck, grams98

Edited: 1:00 pm, November 26, 2013
West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

St Martin is the gourmet capital of the Caribbean and after visiting there this summer we found out why. The food was fantastic! We thought the food on st Thomas and St. John was good, but until we went to st Martin/st Maarten we were blown away by the food! Even on the beach at orient we ate like kings!

3 weeks of vacation is awesome. I think flying to st thomas then ferry to st john snd stay a week in St. John with a day sail or 2 to BVI then fly to st Martin, stay a few days there and several days on both Anguilla and st Bart's would make for a fantastic vacation!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

Truthfully, we like Anguilla better than USVI/BVI but it really just comes down to personal preferences. I would say that doing Anguilla and St. Barths together is much easier than the other itinerary as both are just off of St. Maarten. We've been to all multiple times so it's not like you will not enjoy, you are still in paradise.

16. Re: how long st johns /virgin islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 29, 2014