We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Havre de Grace...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

Leaving in 23 days!! So, if we want to pick one extra island off island excursion which should it be, The Baths or Jost Van Dyke? Not sure which is the best way to travel - sailing or motorboat charter. We love to snorkel and want a fun place to visit.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

That's a tough one. The Baths take quite awhile to get there, but it's really something to see, at least once.

Jost is our favorite. We love to people watch and on Jost, it couldn't be any better. I've never seen anybody mention snorkeling on Jost though.

If you want to go to Jost you can take the Ferry. If you want to go the Baths, you would have to take a charter. There are also charters that will go to both places.

Check in with Pia, she can help.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

If you want to snorkel The Baths it is!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

Here's a link to the ferry schedules which might help:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

If you take the ferry to Virgin Gorda you'll have more time there than on a charter as the charter boats generally stop at a couple of other snorkeling spots (the Indians, Norman caves).

Apart from the ferry, Dolphin Water Taxi also runs to Jost from STT/STJ and goes right into White Bay:

http://www.dolphinshuttle.com/

Remember that you MUST have a passport to travel between the USVI and the BVI. Have fun!

4. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 20, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

If I had to choose the Baths would win hands down. Take the ferry, its the only way to go. You get 4+ solid hours on VG as compared to maybe an hour or so with an excursion/charter. Take your snorkel gear, snorkeling is pretty good, lots of fish to see. There are lockers "at the bottom" of the trail just before you head into the caves. They are small, maybe 12"x12", but will hold a purse, wallet, camera, etc.

I would save Jost for an excursion where you can also snorkel a couple spots along the way. We really enjoyed our trip on daydreamer a couple years ago. You only need a couple hours on Jost anyway. Its a cool vibe but really all there is to do is drink and hangout and people watch.

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 3:45 pm, September 05, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

We took the ferry to Virgin Gorda a few weeks ago and had a great time. The ride was about an hour each way and then we hired a driver to give us a short tour, dropped us at a great waterfront restaurant, took us to the Baths for a few hours and then got us back to the ferry in time for the return trip. We had been to the Baths on a charter about 10 years ago and we really enjoyed it again.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

After re-reading the post I'm assuming the OP is going to be based on StJ NOT on a cruise. If that is correct going to the Baths is not an easy task given the ferry schedule. I might recommend a trip to the Indians if you can find such a trip. We chartered with a boat and went to VG and the Indians in a day... cost us $680 for the boat and the captain complained the whole trip out to VG about the distance. I have also gone from StJ to VG and spent 4 nights there.... well worth the ferry cost and time!

Havre de Grace...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

Wow, thanks so much for all the great advice! Now we need to make some decisions. Lots of good options, we hadn't really thought of the ferry options but that may be a better choice so that we can enjoy the actual

island, not just the ride. Looking forward to getting there so that we can really experience everything that we are reading about.

Appreciate all the advice, we'll be sure to ask again if we need it as the trip gets closer!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

STTR gave a link to the ferry schedule, it runs from St John to Virgin Gorda on Sunday and Thursday only so some planning is required. It is way cheaper than an excursion/charter. As others have said it takes a little over an hour from St John.

The Indians and Cave of Norman Island are an adventure best saved for a private charter where you can spend as much time as you like. Excursions just don't give you enough time there. Private charters seem expensive but if you have 4 people it isn't much more than what you would pay for an excursion. If you have less than 4 it can be expensive. We chartered with pocketyachts and total cost was around $500 (including fuel) split 4 ways. Probably one of the best activities we have done in all the years we have gone. We also made it over to Jost on that same trip. It was a full day from 8am til 530pm. They will also go to VG but due to the distance its hard to do anything else and spend quality time at the baths.

Just my .02

Mike in Tulsa

FRANK AND LOLAS...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The Baths or Jost Van Dyke?

Jost..the Baths are overrun with way to many people in my opinion.