We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressy? Casual?

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dressy? Casual?

Going out to dinner -- casual restaurant: are shorts OK at night? How about at a really nice restaurant? Thanks!

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressy? Casual?

Neat shorts are fine. I might venture that most types of shorts will be fine, but I would feel most comfortable in something with a crease.

For myself; I wear collared shirts (golf, polo, Hawaiian or Guayabera) and long pants (Tommy Bahama/ Ralph Lauren Polo) to a place like Zozo's or La Tapa or the Terrace. It is what I feel most comfortable in. Of course dining out over the last thirty years or so has become so casual that almost anything goes. Especially from what I have observed on island.

Neat and casual will do the trick.

Havre de Grace...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressy? Casual?

JulieJess you beat me to this post! I hope you don't mind if I tag team on your post? We are going in early October for our 30th wedding anniversary. I know that a lot of restaurants will be closed for the "season" while we are there. Can someone add suggestions to this post for a nicer restaurant where we could celebrate a romantic anniversary dinner? Not sure if Asolare will be open or not, just looking for other suggestions. Thanks. And thanks JulieJess for your post, hope you enjoy your trip.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressy? Casual?

Shorts, t-shirt and flip flops are fine for all casual restuarants. Nice shorts, golf shirt and flip flops are fine for ZoZo's, Asolare & and The Terrace. As you will find out, St John is a very casual place. BUT, women, always wear a cover-up over your swimsuit and men always wear a shirt with your swimsuit/shorts when not on the beach.

2Browndogs - check www.stjohnspice.com scroll to the bottom of the page and click on restaurant schedules to find out what will be open in October. You will still have plenty of choices. Have a wonderful trip.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressy? Casual?

We have never dressed up in Cruz Bay. Very casual shorts and t-shirts (we are 53 and 55) are always our attire and we are in the majority.

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressy? Casual?

Best part about going to STJ is being able to pack flip flops, shorts and tees for the week and never worry that you'll need anything else.

Mass
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressy? Casual?

Neat shorts and t-shirts are fine. Each trip we bring less and last time brought a golf shirt and never wore it. One less thing to ship next time.

7. Re: Dressy? Casual?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay