We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding for 40 guests

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morton Grove...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding for 40 guests

I'm looking to get married on St. John with about 40 guests. I am in the very beginning stages of planning and could use any advice on accomodations, where to hold the ceremony/reception, great wedding coordinators and vendors, etc. I would like to have the ceremony on a quiet beach. I want to make it easy for my guests without breaking the bank. The ideal situation would be to find a resort that offers low cost wedding arrangements with a block of rooms for my guests. But I'm also open to letting my guests stay wherever they want on the island and holding the ceremony/reception at a cost-effective space. Any insider tips?

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

st. john is a beautiful island to get married on. there are only 2 resorts on island..Caneel bay and the Westin..2 very nice. very different resorts, where you could have the ceremony. you also could pick a beach on which to have it. you could rent a villa and have the ceremony/ catered reception there ..some are perfect for such things !! you could look into a "block" of rooms but there are other options available for you guests that could be more affordable. suggestion ..check this site for wedding info/planning on st. john www.usviwedding.com -- good place to start !! also some sites for villa/condo rentals... www.caribbeanvilla.com -- www.suitestjohn.com --www.destinationstjohn.com -- all have great listings of villas/condos in all price/size ranges to fit all budgets. all 3 have staff on island and could help you with many of your questions regarding wedding plans/coordinators/vendors...best of luck !!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

I am getting married in St John July 25th, 2006. I had a hard time because the island is so beautiful, but I wasn't satisfied with the wedding companies and packages. After months of research and reccomendations We've decided to marry on Trunk Bay at 4:30 when the public beach portion closes, so no crowds. It's perfect for photos. I am using Stacy with Ceremonies of St.John, so far she has been great, helped me put a package together that I want. It's a little expensive, but I'm very particular... We are having dinner at ZoZos on high reccomendation and staying at a small villa, since it's just us. I saw so many great ones for large groups and guests.

Good luck planning, I can probaly offer more help after July when I see it all for myself.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

I am getting married on Trunk Bay in 3 weeks. We are getting married on the beach and are then having our reception at the villa we rented for the week, Las Brisas Caribe. If you do a simple google search you will find pictures of it.

I actually would not recommend Stacy for reasons I will not list on the forum. I would however highly recommend Janelle from Island Bliss Weddings. www.islandblissweddings.com

She lives on St. Thomas but plans weddings on both islands. She has been extremely helpful when our hired coordinator has not been.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Good information for her. It's hard to find more than the two or three companies advertised on the websites. You always find out more from these. You know I'm intersted in your feelings about Stacy. I do understand not posting them but would love to know you thoughts. Is there a way for you to reply to me directly??? I'm new to this!

Morton Grove...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

I'd like to know too what the problems with Stacy were. I just emailed her about a preliminary quote, so if you have some real reservations I'd like to know about them. Also, you recommended another coordinator...did you use her personally? Why the recommendation? Any more details you can provide on this better person?

Thanks for your help!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Hi dteasley1,

Just to let you know that the beach at Trunk Bay does not close to the public at anytime, it is just that before 9:00 am and after 4:00 pm you do not have to pay to go in. I am only saying this so that you are not expecting to be the only ones on the beach during your wedding - it is alot less crowded at 4:30 pm - but you may still have a few people on the beach and in the water. Having said this, most people are very respectful during a wedding but you still may have a few unexpected "guests" close by. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding - you have picked a beautiful location :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Pia,

Thanks for the info. I was told differently or maybe misunderstood.

I was told the concessions shut down then and all the boats/ferry's head off then. I almost want to push it to 4:30 or 5:00, but I'm worried about the lighting that time of day. For photos I want more bright bold colors, and a few sunset pictures but not to much red and orange sunset colors, they don't turn out as well from many that I've seen, so I was going with a mid afternoon. I might bump it back at bit :)

Thanks for you insight!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Hi there,

You are correct - all the concessions/showers will be closed by then and all the cruise ship passengers will be long gone but at that time of day people will still be able to come onto the beach (for free) but given the time of day and the fact that it is "off season" I'm sure the beach will be quite quiet - you will have a wonderful wedding and your phot's will be perfect :)

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Just wanted to refer you to my review of our own wedding June 6th on the beach. If you search for "wedding" in this forum, you should get it. We set up our own rather than pay someone (Stacy or other) to do it. Really wasn't that difficult, and almost every vendor exceeded our expectations.

As an aside, we had everyone stay at different villas on-sland. For almost eveyrone, this was perfect! Great for each group to visit others' "homes" and small get-togethers. But, think carefully about your guests. If there are those who don't do well "out of their element" and can roll with the punches a little, or those who prefer the Ritz/Westin hotels, you might steer them towards Caneel or the Westin!

If you want them all in one place, you might consider Gallows Point (no kids under 5), Estate Lindholm, Cruz Views, or Lavender Hill - all got good reviews overall... Congrats and good luck!

nyc
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding for 40 guests

Hi,

In case this info helps... I'm getting married in St. John on August 4th - planning to have the wedding and reception at the Beach Villa on Great Cruz Bay (we did not want to move the guest from the ceremony to the reception and this villa has its own little private beach, so works out well.) We are using Katilady for catering and wedding planning and so far has been a good experience...

Good luck with your wedding planning - it can be stressful but also fun - enjoy it!

-Jess