We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions- they are all very helpful. We have decided to delay our trip until the first week in March since there does seem to be greater availability. Just a few more questions:

Has anyone booked Caneel Bay through Tingo? Pricing seems to be somewhat more competitive. I am wondering what the pros/cons are of booking with them versus through the hotel directly.

Also, can one walk into Cruz Bay from Caneel Bay? Finally, does Caneel Bay take room/area requests? If so, any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks again!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

There is a trail from Caneel that comes out behind the National Park center in Cruz Bay. It is about a 35 minute hike. A taxi is $5pp each way.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

I'm looking at Tingo.com now and see the same pricing for similar rooms as the Caneel website.

I usually book through Rosewood and then firm up details with the hotel itself either by email or phoning the hotel directly. Pros or cons? I dunno. You get to speak to a nice person. They kind of get to know you, They ask specific questions about preferences etc...It makes me comfortable and assured :-)

My experience is that Caneel will attempt to honor requests as well as they can without guarantees. I once made a specific room request and it was honored in spades. But I had no expectation until I arrived on property.

The hike into town is a relatively easy one. You will walk along Honeymoon and clmb briefly to a trail which takes you past a Soloman entry. It takes me about 30 to 40 minutes, but I'm a stroller. We usually hike in, shop a little, eat lunch and cab back. I would rate the hike as easy and pleasant (I am 60).

Have a great trip!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
259 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

We booked our trip through a travel agent. We had the agent specify a room # (the one from a past trip) and specific beach. They could guarantee* the beach but not the exact room, but they offered to try. We paid a deposit with stipulation that we'd get a room on said beach.

We also took the cab to Cruz Bay and liked that the drivers always stopped for us to take great photos Of the beaches.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

Our location requests were always granted. We book months in advance so maybe that has something to do with our luck.

I have never heard of a "deal" when booking at Caneel. some sources will get you breakfast included in the rate. In the summer months, Caneel offers promos like double upgrades of free nights.

5. Re: Caneel Bay or Gallows Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 22, 2014