We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Hi everyone! I am going to St. John for the first time this June for my honeymoon and I really want to take day trips to the Baths and Jost Van Dyke. I am trying to figure out if it would be better to do the bad kitty (and see both in one day) or take ferries and take up 2 days. My worry with the ferry is that it's too much time away from St. John, and my wory about Bad Kitty is it may be too rushed. Also, I really want to go to the bar Foxy's and I can't tell if there is time for that on the Bad Kitty tour... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

St. John
Level Contributor
158 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

I would not recommend the ferry. You waste 3 - 3/12 hours of your day on a crappy ferry boat. Bad Kitty is a great trip: open bar and Hors d'oeuvres make the time on the boat more than manageable. The only down side is that the whole day is very structured. You have limited time on Virgin Gorda, but I am ok with that b/c once I go through the Baths and hang out at Devil's Bay I'm ready to go. The only place I want more time at on the BK trip is White Bay on Jost.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
633 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Ferry to Jost and spend the entire day at White Bay! Love love love this place.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

I would not do both Jost and VG in one day unless you are more interested in being on the water and just seeing both places because you won't get much time in either place given their location. I am a fan of the ferry because you can do whatever you want when you get there. I\

If you have never been to STJ, I would not leave to do two day trips, I would spend the time enjoying STJ. However, if you do choose to leave, I choose to go to VG because the Baths are unlike anything you will see anywhere else in the VI. Jost is really nice, especially the Soggy Dollar Bar and White Bay, but the beaches on STJ are comparable, if not nicer. What is it about Foxy's that makes you want to go there? There is not much going on during the day there.

Also, you probably already know this, but you need a passport to go to the BVI.

kansas
Level Contributor
40 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

My husband and i did a trip on the Bad Kitty in August. It is a very structured trip with little time to linger in any one place. It was a great trip for my husband as this was his first trip to the area and allowed him to see many places is a short period of time. I have been in the area before and would have enjoyed a slower pace. However, the boat was nice, the crew great and the Baths are really something to see. I would definitely recommend it.

Austin, Texas
7 posts
1 review
5. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Thank you everyone this is really helpful! My friend had recommended Foxys but it doesn't sound like I should schedule my whole trip around it. I guess bad kitty would be a good way to see both places without taking too much time away from St John. For anyone who has done bad kitty - how much time are you able to spend at the baths. Are you able to make your way over to the beach that is close by and supposed to be really pretty and really cool to get to?

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

We've done both and prefer the ferry. We make a day out of each location. Lunch, shop, explore all at your pace.

Arrive at VG and take a taxi to the Baths. Have lunch at the top then spend 3 or so hours in the caves and beaches before taking the ferry back to Cruzbay for dinner.

Arrive at Jost around 10am. Taxi over to White Bay and enjoy the quiet morning. By 12pm the crowds begin to come in so have lunch and party with everyone. Hop on the afternoon ferry back for a nice dinner in Cruzbay.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
758 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Since it's your first trip, I'd go with Bad Kitty - or give Priates Penny a look. I think it's boat is much better than Bad Kitty's - much more outdoor space.

Consider it an "appetizer" to the BVI's. You will spend very little time at all of the stops, but will give you a little taste of everything.

Once you go to St. John, you *will* be back again! :) We've been 11 times and finally decided that we wanted to spend an entire day at White Bay/Soggy Dollar, so we took the ferry over and did just that! But that is after mannnny one-day trips to the Baths, Norman Island caves, Willy T's, Sandy Spit and White bay on boats lilke Pirate's Penny and private charters like Palm Tree.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 9:42 pm, January 19, 2013
concord
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

We took the Bad Kitty in early January, the trip was very structured and they keep you moving through the Baths...not much time for relaxing and exploring and because the water was rough we did not snorkel into shore. Quick lunch @ Cooper Island, quick snorkel @ Norman and then to Jost Van Dyke for the last stop. We usually don't take tours like this but since we were new to the area it did allow us to see a little bit of each. Next visit we will take a ferry to one and spend the day exploring.

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

I have no experience with Bad Kitty, but saw them all over the place. I liked the service we got with Cruz Bay Water Sports. I didn't enjoy White Beach very much, JVD in general, because it's just a place to go and drink rum, oh, yeah, there's a beach.

The CBWS trip to Virgin Gorda/Norman Island was great. Not too much time on land, per se, But it is, as someone said, 'just a sip' of BVI.

I thought it was kind of a racket to pay $25 every time you enter BVI. I could understand 'upon first entry' or once per trip, or keep a receipt so you don't pay again. I was supposed to dive the Rhone as well as planned trip to VG and JVD, but couldn't fathom paying $150 for the two of us just to enter BVI territory. As it was, we did two trips.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Day trips to Baths and Jost Van Dyke - bad kitty or ferry?

Having been to Jost a few time now, I would take the ferry and enjoy the whole day at whatever Foxy bar you choose and also go over to White Bay and do Soggy Dollar without question! This is a very tiny island, one big massive hill and little hills, hard to compare it to anywhere else. Take the ferry, "grab" a taxi to either Foxy Taboos OR to Soggy, play, then get the taxi guy to pick you up and drop you at the original Foxy's where you can very easily walk to the Ferry dock. You will be on the island about 5-6 hours which is enough. The heat and alcohol will get to you otherwise plus you are very limited to ferry times. I would not personally recommend a charter tour as you will be just partying with people on a booze cruise and won't appreciate the relaxed atmosphere of the real island. Save Virgin Gorda and other islands for another day. No hurry!