We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

Hello,

I'm currently staying in STJ and was wondering what would be the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ. I rented a car and traveling with a toddler.

Any advise would be appreciated. I cancelled Bad Kitty day trip since one review said it was kind of challenging swim to get to the shore from the Bad Kitty and one person died of cardiac arrest recently....I just don't want to take the chance with little one coming along....

I want to know if there are any other ways to explore the BVI instead of going through Bad Kitty/Breakaway snorkeling kind of day trip.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

if you go on a boat that goes to the Baths or to White Bay, you have to swim ashore so your only other option would be to take the ferry to Tortola, or Jost, or Virgin Gorda.

Honestly, if you are not looking for a snorkeling day, I would just stay on STJ

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,517 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
White Bay
White Bay
609 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

You can take the ferry to Jost Van Dyke which runs a few times a week, not sure what the current schedule is though. You pick it up from the center of Cruz Bay. Plan on a full day but once you get there, you either take a taxi to White Bay to go to Soggy Dollar or over to Foxy's Taboo (highly recommended) or from the ferry just walk over to the original Foxy's. Its a tiny island but with a baby, you probably won't want to walk in the heat too much. We love it there!

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel
488 Reviews
St. John
White Bay
White Bay
609 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Foxy's
Foxy's
653 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

We just spent a week on VG and many, many boats took people ashore by Dinghy at the baths. I would ask your particular boat if they would do it for you.

Of course it depends on the weather conditions.

B.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

We did the Baths (Virgin Gorda) and Norman Island via Cruz Bay Watersports and my Mom is not a good swimmer and they used a dinghy to get folks to shore who have a difficult time swimming to shore.

I am sure other excursions do the same. I would just call and ask.

Otherwise, like others have posted above there are other options. I also like the ferry trip to Jost and I know you could get to Tortola via ferry.

What do you want to do or see?

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,517 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Cruz Bay Watersports
Cruz Bay Watersports
2,070 Reviews
St. John
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

After doing Stormy Petrel to Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island (lunch) and the Caves and JVD/Soggy Dollar Bar a few years ago (highly recommend this excursion), and the past 2 years doing Cloud 9 to JVD/snorkeling, last week, we decided to just take the ferry from St John to JVD for the day. That worked out great. If you go on Mon, Tues or Wed, the ferry leaves St John at 8:30am, and the return ferry is at 4:30pm (4:00pm on the schedule, but it first stops in Tortola before JVD, so it doesn't actually leave JVD until 4:30pm). This allowed us to spend most of the day at White Bay just hanging out on the beach. Highly recommend Chicken Roti's at Gertrude's if you are interested (and, they let you make your own drinks at the bar!)..... needless to say I made a awesome painkiller!

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Soggy Dollar Bar
Soggy Dollar Bar
1,494 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
White Bay
White Bay
609 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

We used "Island Wilson Excursions", this past October 2012. Captain Wilson got us so close to the shore that all you had to do was walk a few feet to the beach at Soggy Dollar. The water was about waist deep. No problem! I would highly recommend this Captain. It was the BEST day of our vacation!!

Mentioned in this post
Island Wilson Excursions
Island Wilson Excursions
364 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,627 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

Here's a link to the inter island ferry schedules and rates which will give you all the information you need if you decide to go by ferry:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

You probably already know this but you must now have a passport to travel between the BVI and USVI.

Mentioned in this post
usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

Thank you all for your great input!!!! Someone recommended Breakaway and hopefully they have a dinghy to take us to ashore. If not, then we will just do a day trip by taking a ferry to BVI. Thank you all!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

The Baths are amazing especially when there are no cruise ships in Road Town.

B.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,517 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best way to do a day trip to BVI from STJ?

I sailed to Jost today on Kekoa and they provided a dinghy for those that didn't want to swim in to shore. I would highly recommend sailing with Kekoa.

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay