We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

We are looking for a 2 bedroom villa for a spring break trip. Two couples and one toddler that is 18 months. We want to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping. We came across the Grande Bay Resort. We like it because its new and looks pretty nice. Is this one of the nicest villas/resorts in this area? Is it good for an 18 month old? Any suggestions or recommendations would be great! thanks!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

Grande Bay is not a "resort". It is condos, set across the road from Cruz Bay. There is no poolside or room service. While you will have a view of the water, Cruz Bay is not a swimming beach, nor have I ever seen anyone layout there. There is a lot of boat traffic. It is an easy walk to the many restaurants in Cruz Bay. There are two resorts on St John. Caneel Bay $$$$ and The Westin $$$. Another choice is Gallows Points $$$. It is on beautiful grounds with wonderful ocean views. It only has a small rocky beach, but good snorkeling. Again, easy walking distance.

You will need to rent a vehicle to get to the many beaches. Taxi's charge per person.

Edited: 8:39 pm, November 01, 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

Grande Bay is good for a toddler if a few respects: you will have a kitchen (which makes life easier with a toddler), the pool is not right outside your door so you don't have to worry about him/her falling in while you are making blender drinks, and it is walking distance to town in case the two couples want to separate and do different things so no one is stranded at "home".

Gallows does not allow children under 6 as per my recollections. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You have Caneel or the Westin if you want a "resort". Both choices are pricey.

usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

I'm currently staying at Grande Bay with my kid, 4 years old. It's been a few days here and our family loves it here. The lication is pretty god since it's nearby/walking distance to most of the restaurants. We always rent a car when we are on a vacation and we rented a from STT and car barged it to STJ.

Pros:

kitchen- must for my family cuz my boy gets hungry very early and I could fix up something quick

Clean, fairly new, our unit is furnished with almost everything you need including full size laundry detergent...interesting enough that I always ended up buying my own laundry detergent at other condo/vacationa rentals after their trial size soaps/detergents run out lol

Dryer and washer- a lot of wet clothes, swim suites, etc

Balcony- view but safe for little ones

Designated parking-parking is tight around here I've noticed

Cons- paper towel...they didn't leave extra so I had to ask for extra....I use a lot of paper towel....it's just me :)

Well, so far so good... We drove around the whole STJ today and glad we chose Cruz Bay area and this condo cuz it is convenient in many ways. Think of Grande Bay like a home away from home. I've visited over 7 carribean islands and stayed at moderate to luxury resorts/vacation rentals so I kinda know what the basic to full service resorts/vacation rental offer or provide.

Hope you enjoy your stay here if you decide to stay at Grande Bay!

4. Re: Grande Bay Resort with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2013