We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carrboro, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

I visited St. John in late summer 2010, and am preparing to make another visit in Dec. 2012. But I am requesting an update on the Vitran bus situation for tourists. I and other tourists I knew attempted to take the Vitran buses in 2010. A driver refused me permission to board the bus at the terminus in downtown Cruz Bay, and another tourist stood for hours being passed by buses on the Centerline Rd. at the bus stop nearest Cinnamon Bay Campground--yes, he waved at each bus but got nowhere. I was informed by the bus driver downtown that tourists are not allowed on the bus, that we must take the much more expensive tourist shuttle. We tourists were not drunk or disorderly, and this was during daylight hours. Yet websites and tour books list the Vitran bus as an option for tourists. I see that other tourists in 2006 years have reported taking the bus on this forum. What is the situation now, in 2012? Can I take the bus? I have taken local buses and trains all over North America, and in Europe and Belize with no problem. I am also interested in taking the bus on Tortola--is it the same deal? I would be grateful to anyone who could advise me.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

I have never heard that and know many tourists that have taken the bus.

I do not recommend it as it is not very reliable and I know people that took it to Salt Pond, it broke down later that morning, and they were stranded and had to hitchhike back to town.

There is NO bus stop at Cinnamon Bay because the bus does not go by there.

It runs out Centerline into Coral Bay and on to Salt Pond and back. It does not run on the North Shore road

I have no idea at all about Tortola, you would have to ask on the BVI board

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

Very strange story. I have heard of busses not running or breaking down but NEVER have heard that they refuse to pick anyone up. I am not sure what the tourist shuttle is either?

I would suggest that the best way to see St John is to rent a jeep as taxis get expensive very quickly and the bus is not reliable.

B.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

Tourists take the bus all day when it is working :) Do know the bus does not go past any of the North Shore beaches so the person who was waiting for one at the Cinnamon Bay Campground would be waiting a long time maybe he thought the taxi's were dollar taxi's (on STT they look the same) like on STT but the bus on STJ is a true "bus" and not open air.

Pia

Edited: 7:51 pm, October 08, 2012
Carrboro, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

The tourist from Cinnamon Bay walked the mile-long hiking trail that connects the North Shore Road to Centerline and waited several hours as closed buses passed him on Centerline. It was not the open air bus, it was the closed Vitran bus that would not stop. We have both taken the open air bus on North Shore Rd., which I called the "tourist shuttle", with no problem, but that is several times more expensive. I am wonder when the tourists you know of took the bus--was it before or after 2010? Was if off season or in season? That info would help a lot. Thanks so much.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

I wonder how do they know who's a tourist?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

I know tourists that have taken the bus before and after 2010.

The open air safari trucks are taxis, hence the price difference.

7. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, May 02, 2014
Edited: 8:05 pm, May 02, 2014
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

I answered you here and on the vinow site - tourists are allowed

Pia

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

black socks and sandals?

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourists disallowed from St. John Vitran buses?

black socks and sandals?

Hahahaha

Pia