We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

We will be staying at Grande Bay next week and wondered where the best place for breakfast would be. As we aren't renting a car we would like to have a bigger breakfast then just take snacks to the beach for lunch. Thanks.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

I am curious about how you are getting to the beach? We stay at the Westin and typically workout in the morning and have a light breakfast, then stop for sandwiches to have at the beach. This on-stjohn.com/2010/… may help you a little bit though. The sandwiches here virginislandsthisweek.com/menus/deli_grotto_… are big enough for two to split, and they do a breakfast also. Good luck!

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

Thanks, they are both great sites. We'll be hiking to Salomon at least a couple of times, then taking taxis to some of the other nearer North Shore beaches. Hopefully we'll rent a dinghy one day to get as far as Waterlemon Cay. I'm also hoping we'll get the bus over to Salt Pond and do Salt Pond Bay Beach and Blue Cobblestone as well as hiking Ram Head. The last couple of vacations we've had have been a bit traumatic with rental cars and I thought it would be nice not to have to worry about reversing into low-lying palm trees this time round!!

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

We love the egg scramble and other breakfast items at Deli Grotto!!!! The portions are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE...so you can totally get away with eating there and then just snacking for lunch.

Or better yet, while getting breakfast, just pick up a sandwich to share and one of their yummy coconut bars for lunch!

And you pass it in Mongoose Junction on your way to the Solomon trail.

Edited: 12:23 pm, January 17, 2012
New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

I personally love the huervos rancheros at JJ's Texas Toast:

…aol.com/travel-guide/…

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

Jakes in the Lumeryard is good. JJ's is good, but service can be slow.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

I can't imagine going to St John and not having a jeep. Walking distance to restaurants from Grande Bay is great, but you'll want a jeep to load your beach chairs and cooler in. You MIGHT be able to catch a bus TO Salt Pond, but you may not get one back! You might find yourselves hitch-hiking back to Cruz Bay. Getting a taxi from Coral Bay area is almost impossible!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

We like JJ's but the service is always SLOW, but we always go back!

Deli Grotto is very good too!

If this is your first trip, do consider at least a one day rental if you can find one. Not having a car really limits how much of the island you can see. Taxis don't go everywhere and there is so much more to the island then the North Shore.

The bus is not reliable at all, so be prepared that you may get stranded.

Edited: 6:09 pm, January 17, 2012
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

LOVE Cafe Livin (formerly Mojo) - great breakfast and fast :)

Pia

South Carolina
Level Contributor
234 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

As others have said, I think Deli Grotto and JJ's are the best, consistently. Deli Grotto is quick, JJ's may not be. If we are going to eat at the restaurant, I'd go JJ's. If we wanted something to go, or something lighter, I prefer Deli Grotto.

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best breakfast in Cruz Bay

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Was thinking to rent a car for a day if there's one available although we did get to see a fair bit of the island last time we visited. Thanks Tinkerbelldee for the comment regarding the bus. Feet, Fins & Four-Wheel Drive lists a number to call for checking on the bus service but I don't know how reliable that is.

I have been beating myself up about not renting a car but as I said previously we've had a couple of bad experiences with rentals on our last two vacations and I thought it would be good to give my husband a rest from driving. When we rented on St John some years ago the transmission (I think) on the first jeep we had blew up and had us exiting the vehicle mighty quickly as smoke filled the interior. Was probably pretty amusing if anyone was watching us dive out the doors, but not something I'd want to repeat in a hurry!!

Can't wait to get down to the island on Saturday and thanks to everyone on this forum who has provided such great information especially about what to bring and more importantly what not to bring, places to visit, restaurants etc. It really is appreciated.