We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
9 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

My future wife and I have decided we are going to Honeymoon in St. John in Oct of this year (2011). I have read both good and not-so-good things about both Caneel Bay and The Westin. There is also a significant difference in price, Westin 3 nights: $876.05 for a premium beachfront front room, no food included and Caneel Bay 3 nights: $2,748 for a beachfront room, 3 meals are included. If anyone has stayed at both and could give some insight as to the real "value" you receive for staying at Caneel, it would be appreciated. Yes, this is a Honeymoon and would like some privacy and I am willing to pay the additional amount because quality of beach, water and quiet is important but only if it could truly makes a difference in the experience. $2,000 can purcahse a lot of food and recreation.... Thanks for any and all help!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Forget the Westin... go somewhere without kids.

Gallows a good suggestion.

If it were me, I'd choose a private villa. Ultimate privacy...

I'd pick this one in Coral Bay:

http://www.reefmadnessvilla.com/

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

All beaches on STJ are public unless you have to cross private property to get to them - such as is the case with the beaches at Caneels with the exception of the main beach and Honeymoon beach at Caneel. Rent a car and you will have access to more beaches on STJ than you know what to do with. I second Reef Madness :)

Pia

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Gallows is a great choice. Depending on your expectations I find it hard to believe if this is a first trip to STJ that you would have anything but a great time at the Westin or at Caneel. The villa noted above is a 25 minute drive from Cruz Bay where most of the restaurants and bars are all located, and not a drive you'd like to do at night after a few Pain Killers at The Beach Bar or even better up the hill at Zozo's. You will find Caneel more romantic and the grounds and private beaches spectacular. I've yet to stay there but have enjoyed the property and it's restaurants sevral times while staying at the Westin. For a honeymoon I would chose Caneel. As lovely as the property is though you have to force yourself to leave there and see the island. You'd be doing yourselves a disservice if you only hang out on property. Although after writing that and remembering some of the beaches there and Mary's Trail, you could do a lot worse than spending a whole week, let alone three nights, at Caneel Bay and never leaving it. At least I have convinced myself. For three nights only on STJ, stay at Caneel Bay and during one day take a taxi around the island for a tour to whet your appetite to come back. (Better still, stay a whole week!!!!! you won't want to leave after three nights!)

Edited: 3:48 pm, August 02, 2011
Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

I stayed at the Westin for my honeymoon in 2004 and hated it! Other than the grounds being very pretty, the room was outdated and musty and there were kids running around the pool constantly (not that there is anything wrong with kids but not on my honeymoon) and the pool area was not clean!. We actually tried to move to Caneel Bay but they were booked. We did take a ride over there and I peaked it a few of the rooms...I have to say I was NOT impressed at all with the rooms. Caneel Bay was very expensive and I expected the rooms to be a bit more luxurious! They looked like motel rooms! The grounds were spectacular though. I loved St John and plan on returning in the very near future...My plan is to rent a condo or villa next time!

Lewis Center
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

CANEEL ....this will be our 11 th year. Worth every penny!!!!

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
681 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

I was going to suggest Caneel over Westin for your honeymoon, but seeing Reef Madness villa, I would be real tempted to stay there! I cannot comment on Gallows Point, as I do not know enough about it other than it does get good reviews. Good luck!

on the lake
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

We were just at the Westin a few weeks ago. We took the free shuttle to the other beaches and only went to the big pool once and that was late afternoon. Not many kids around. We stayed in the hillside villa which has its own pools that the hotel guests aren't allowed to use. We were the only ones ever at that pool. It was quiet and peaceful but with the amenities of the resort just down the hill.

If I were to choose anything other than Westin I think i would either do a private villa or Grande Bay. GB because its so close to town and looks very nice.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Hate to throw a wrench into this discussion. BUT....if you are willing to pay $2700 for beach front/Caneel for 3 days.

Why not take that same $2700 and stay in a cheaper place and stay a week? (assuming you have the time.)

No matter when you choose to stay, I can 100% guarantee you that you will regret only going 3 days. :)

19. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 08, 2012