We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

NJ
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

We are staying at Maho Bay camps from what I hear is far away from a lot of things so maybe renting a jeep is a good idea in contrast to taking taxis?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

Its been almost 5 yrs since I was there but we found a company in ST Thomas that we rented a car from and took that to ST John where we were staying. I believe not all rental companies allowed you take their car over to ST John so check first. I found the rates to be cheaper then. So after one day of driving around (we stayed in Coral Bay) we returned to ST Thomas and got a jeep! You MUST get a jeep, it makes your trip! so many beaches to explore. It's totally worth the cost!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

One word...YES!

Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

Yes. I go there every other year. I can't image doing it without a jeep.

MA
Level Contributor
740 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

I would just like to add: YES, absolutely, rent a jeep! You will be able to create your own schedule: whatever that is.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

Dependable jeep on St. Thomas is only 398 for the week and then you could stop and get groceries and supplies. 6 days till I get my jeep and head for St. John.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

My first thought was yes, rent the jeep. Then again, if Maho will get you to and from Cruz bay for a reasonable rate and you have access to Maho Bay beach and also Francis Bay, at the bottom of the Maho driveway, you have options. If the jeep is a big expense for you certainly can have a great time without one. So definately grab a jeep if it works for you. But know that you can have a great time, if Maho Camps have reasonable priced r/t to Cruz Bay available to you, without one as well.

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

Just throwing this out there....if the expense is an issue and Maho will get you to Cruz Bay....rent a jeep for a day or two for exploration right in Cruz Bay. Then you will have the best of both worlds. Gravity Days at Maho and exploration days!..The cost is approx $72 per day and you get it for 24 hours....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

Yes! We were there a couple weeks ago (our first trip to St John), and had a great experience with Penn's Jeep Rental.

19. Re: is it worth it to rent a jeep in St. John for one week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 28, 2012