We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep Rental Question....

Fredericksburg,Virgi...
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep Rental Question....

We will be staying in St John the 3rd week of June and plan on renting a Jeep. (Yes , I know, we need to reserve one now:) Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage to renting a Jeep in St Thomas then taking the car barge to St John? The only thing I could think of was maybe grocery shopping in ST before we went over and also on the trip back shopping a little in ST before we turned the Jeep in. Our flight going home leaves at 4 so we would have a few hours to kill. Our Jeeps less expensive in ST?

Thanks

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

I don't know about jeep rental prices in stt vs STJ but you won't have to pay can fare from the airport to the ferry dock. We use a private taxi so for us that would save us $180 round trip us tip. I believe the public taxi rate is $11 pp plus $2 per bag each way.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

Saving on the taxi ride to the ferry could be a plus. Otherwise, you will do fine waiting to pick up your car on St John.

There are excellent grocery stores and liquor stores on St John at Cruz Bay, so you can do your shopping after you pick up the car and before you head to your villa.

On the advice of friends who live on St John, we rented a nice, clean Jeep Liberty from L&L Jeep Rentals. L&L will meet you at the ferry dock on your arrival and pick up the Jeep from you at the dock on your return. They provide excellent, professional service. Here's the link: http://www.bookajeep.com/

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

I just read on the STT forum that someone paid over $700 to rent a jeep for 1 week and a day from Amalie car rental in St Thomas. It was a Wrangler unlimited I believe. That seems kind of high compared to STJ prices I've seen. We rent on STJ from Courtesy and have Rachel pick us up at the airport

Boston
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

I've heard that if your car breaks down on STJ but you rented it on STT, its tough to get someone over to help you out with it. We always rent on STJ so we can't confirm this. Rent on STJ and save the hassle of figuring out how to get to the ferries, getting your car on it and off and all that jazz. The car rentals on STJ are perfectly fine and a lot less hassle IMHO

Near Boston, MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

I had the same question and after reading all the advice here on TA, I decided to rent on STJ because I was worried about having a car issue with no one to call for help. You do give up the convenience of having a car to explore STT on the last day and the cheaper grocery store on your way in, but most people seemed to think that those new to the islands might find it easier to rent in STJ. We were booking within a month of our trip, so the more well-known places in STJ were out of cars; however, I got one through Delbert Hill (http://delberthillcarrental.com/). Miss Elaine was very nice and they even sent me an email confirmation.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

Ever since our second trip we've rented on STT and taken the car barge over. The rates are typically cheaper on STT than for the same vehicle on STJ.

We usually stop at Cost-U-Less or the Food Center to buy some food items that are also a little cheaper.

But for me, it's not just the money saved - I feel like I'm on vacation when I'm driving, as opposed to taking a taxi, then a ferry.

I also like the fact that once my bags are in the jeep the next time I'll have to handle them is when I get to the villa.

Renting on STJ has some advantages, and it's certainly a little easier for someone getting accustomed to the islands, but renting on STT is no daunting task, and may be better depending on your circumstances.

beachgal5
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

Is there an issue re the availability of car ferries from STT to

STJ? I read some older posts re this, and worried that if there is only 1 car ferry running, we could get stuck in STT.

8. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, March 19, 2014
Edited: 7:05 pm, March 19, 2014
9. Re: Jeep Rental Question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 27, 2012