We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

Hi, both companies tell me they have a Wrangler available for our July trip. St. John Car Rental is particular attractive since it has parking in Cruz Bay BUT they only accept select credit cards which must be in the name of the driver, none of which my husband has. So I guess that won't work!? That's just strange! Now I'm trying to find out whether or not Courtesy Car Rental has parking in Cruz Bay? Can anyone advise me?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

Andy, I may have taken your post in a way you didn't intend. I reacted primarily to what seemed to me to be the implication that people in this thread were posting "propaganda" and were not being honest, in combination with asking where you should rent your vehicle. It came across to me like "Stop your nonsense and tell me what I should do." I don't think that was really what you meant.

As to negative reviews, I don't believe anyone here has tried to discourage them. If you re-read Toes's #27, I don't see how you could feel that discouraging negative reviews was the intent. It was a comment (which, as I said, I agree with) about the practice of coming onto a forum as a first-timer for the sole purpose of blasting a business. This is a fairly common and very annoying pattern on TripAdvisor. I suppose different people have different ideas about the purpose of TripAdvisor and what constitutes proper forum etiquette, and I certainly don't have any more right than anyone else to make pronouncements on those issues. I will say, however, that stink bombs from first-timers, for me, lack credibility and are obnoxious. It's fine to tell about negative experiences; an all-caps DON'T GO HERE and calling people CROOKS is beyond the pale, particularly when it's the only thing we've heard from you.

Softening my criticism of that first offering just a bit, I'll acknowledge that the poster in question didn't start this thread--it's doubly annoying when that is the case. In this instance, though, the attack was against a company that I have dealt with extensively. Not only have they always provided good, professional service; they are exceptionally gracious. A small anecdote: The first time I rented there, I broke a tail light; they didn't even mention it. Another: I rented from Courtesy while staying at Caneel, and arranged to have someone from the agency pick me up there to take me into town to do the paperwork and get my jeep. The young man who did that--the son of the owner--was so pleasant and interesting to talk to that I commented to my wife about it. When we returned the vehicle, both my wife and I were given a ride back to Caneel by the same young man, who charmed my wife so thoroughly that she practically swooned. Having had experiences like these, I raise an eyebrow, to say the least, when somebody publicly accuses them of stealing from their customers.

Anyway, I hope you'll have a great first trip to St. John. I'm sure you'll love the place.

42. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 19, 2014
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

To my good friends Wpsaukee and Toes. Toes, I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name. I think enough time has been spent here and I look forward to my trip to St John. Courtesy looks like a great place to rent. Thank you for your time and passion.

44. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 19, 2014
St. John
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

Hope you had a good visit to St. John. Try Sunshine's Jeep Rental next time they are very helpful and have parking right in town.

46. Re: St. John Car Rental AND Courtesy Car Rental

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2015