We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobs Ladder

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, Kentucky
1 post
Save Topic
Jacobs Ladder

What exactly is Jacobs Ladder. I have seen it referred to several times.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacobs Ladder

.....jacob's ladder is the very steep hill between cruz bay and great cruz bay (westin area)..........numerous accidents/injuries etc.........always put it in 4wd BEFORE you attempt it rain or shine and drive it extremely defensively..........people have been killed on it.

ATL
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacobs Ladder

I've actually been to St. John many times and stayed right over Jacob's Ladder--it can be slick when wet...most important thing to remember is to get a vehicle with 4wd. and not to overcrowd your vehicles...the hill is not as bad as it seems...

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacobs Ladder

I used to live at the top of it when I first moved here. I can tell you one thing, I didn't like to walk it, up or down, rain or shine.

I don't have four wheel drive, but I've never had trouble getting up it even in the rain. Just be sure to leave enough room between you and the guy in front of you in case they have trouble getting up it. I have seen some cars slide back when it is wet. You also have to be aware that at the top of the hill there is a cross road. This seems to cause the most trouble. Just be defensive when you get near the top and watch out for cars on the cross road.