We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Topic
On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

...you couldn't moor in open water (the Indians, the caves) and you weren't interested in getting too blotto. I am dying to do some exploring, but I get too sea sick to consider open water snorkeling.

We will be with our 2 teens.

What are some of your favorite shore locations on Jost, Tortola, Virgin Gorda or any other small island/cay that would be accessible on a day trip? Shore snorkling, exploring, lunch and a drink are what we are looking for.

Also, would a stop at Waterlemon get you closer to the swim around the Cay, than if you swam from the beach? Would you do this on a charter or on your own?

Thank you so much

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

Look into Cooper Island or North Sound Virgin Gorda.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

I will give this advice....don't do it on your own, charter a boat with a captain. That will surely take care of your other questions as well. Almost all of the captains know the islands and areas very well. You tell them what you want to do, they make suggestions and work out a plan of action. They WANT you to have a good time! That's their job! Also, the waters around here are filled with reefs and it is best to be on a boat with someone who knows where they are. Not only is it terrible sad to have a reef damaged by a boat, someone could get hurt, and paying for a broken boat/props is very expensive.

I always recommend Cleve from Local Flavor Charters. He has lived here all of his life and is just a really nice guy. His website is www.localflavorcharters.com I posted earlier this week about a special he is running until Dec. 15th 2009 for $390 for a full day. It's a great deal if you will be here during that time frame. (Even if you miss the special, I would still book with him)

Hope you have a fantastic time!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

Thank you both. This will definitely be with a hired captain. I don't even have the guts to get a dinghy and do North Shore beaches alone, for fear of screwing up somehow.

I was just curious what the forum members favorite "spots" are to stop that meet our needs. I'm sure our captain will have his suggestions too.

On our maybe list-- The Baths, Soggy Dollar, ?small island that the kids can run around on (which one?) I will look into Cooper island, North shore VG.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

Oh...the Baths in Virgin Gorda, for sure! They absolutely be The Indians or Normal Island caves.

However, if you do go to Virgin Gorda/Baths, you'll pass right by The Caves, so no reason you can't stop there.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

I think depending on the day and wind you could do the Caves the Indians are more exposed so probably not. There are some areas around Jost that are pretty protected also.

i really wouldn't spend the $$ to snorkel waterlemon on a boat as it is so easy to get too off of the beach and although I don't know you can't get real close with a boat anyway.

Have you considered motion sickness meds like dramine or bonine. They work great for me.

B.

6. Re: On a BVI private powerboat charter, where would you go if...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 09, 2010