We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nervous driver and cheap eater!

We're looking at staying at the Westin in October and almost every post recommends renting a Jeep for your stay. I'm scared of driving in a foreign country and getting lost in a bad area. Had a terrible experince like that in Mexico once. Any need for that concern? And what about parking? Is that a problem anywhere?

I love a good meal, but I'd rather spend my money on something other than a pricey meal. Are there enough options on the island to offer a cheap eater some variety?

Also, is the island safe to walk around? I recently returned from the Dominican and was terrified to leave the resort. I'm looking for someplace where I can get out and explore while feeling comfortable.

Help me out St. John veterans!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

You can enjoy the island without a car, but not well, in my opinion. There is so much that STJ has to offer that you can not get to by taxi.

The Westin beach is man made in my opinion, kind of crappy.

Get a jeep and explore, you will be so glad that you did.

Denver, CO
8 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

We were kind of newbies to St. John last year and we rented a jeep with no problems. You can't get lost since there are like two roads and we got used to driving on the left in no time.

Have a great trip!

St. John, USVI
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Excellent advice all around. Want to second the motion on cheap eats at the G-Spot they're open late which is a bonus and will be open in October when many other restaurants are closed. In addition to Hot food at starfish they're subs are large and inexpensive, great to bring to the beach. Also Candies BBQ by The Marketplace is good. Don't be afraid to try the lunch trucks and small eateries like Sheila's Pot. They offer some of the best (and cheapest) meals.

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Fantastic advice from everyone here. I actually printed this out to show my mother in law who is coming with us on our 2nd trip to St. John in Sept. I'm the nervous driver and she's the cheap (and picky) eater.

We walked around in town a lot at night and felt safer than we would in Downtown Dallas! My story would be that we were waiting for dinner at Uncle Joe's Barbeque (A MUST!) in town when a electrical transformer blew on the road across the street and all the lights went out. YIKES! We learned pretty quickly that this happens and the locals just roll with it. So, we did too. We ended up holding flashlights and candles to help the staff and had one of the best nights of our trip laughing and joking with everyone. Oh and the food - FANTASTIC.

Definitely rent the Jeep. The experience outweighs the nervous issues but not the name calling and back seat driving from me as my hubby screams along the roads at 20mph :) I've driven in Mexico and Puerto Rico. NEVER AGAIN. I would drive anywhere on St. John.

As a Westin person I'll tell you to bring some snack food and buy a bottle of water when you get there to refill. I popped a bottle of water and some snacks in my bag every day we were there and it saved us a ton of money. We're planning to ship dry goods and freeze meat this time since there are 5 of us. The deli at the Westin was reasonably priced easpecially for a bagel in the morning (that I craved horribly after 3 days without my bagel and coffee in the mornings!)

I'm not a veteran yet but I want to be! :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Deli Grotto is where it's at!! Yummy sandwiches for cheap. I'm usually nervous driving in foreign places, but St. John wasn't bad at all. Going back in November....can't wait!

long island ny
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Hi Rickg, my feelings are hurt.;-( haha. us nyers are good people. The most loud/pushy people I have ever seen in NY were the foreign visitors & that's the truth. Us "northerners" on the whole are quiet,if we seem loud, it's cause have to talk above all the traffic sounds going on around us. ;-).

I envy all you people who are STJ veterans and have learned alot reading these forums. Cause of this forum, we can't wait to make our 1st trek to the island. Thanks to all.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Can you tell me how to find the GSpot? LOL....but really? And does anyone know Sheila's Pot hours of operation? Oh and one more question: Miss Vie's will be closed :( Where can we find conch fritters that are anywhere near as good as hers?

Thanks!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

The G-Spot is in Larry's Landing. Larry's Landing is across the street from Wharfside Landing and Next to SlimMan's parking lot about a one minute walk from the ferry dock. Most people just call it Larry's...

Sheila's Pot is open when it's open...that's the best it can be said. IF she is serving, she will be open around lunch time (noonish) and she will stay until the food is gone (sometimes 3pm, sometimes 5pm).

Conch fritters as good as Vie's...sorry! But I have been told that High Tide right off the ferry dock does a pretty good job.

From another post...roller coaster roads? Well, yes, but you really don't hear of people falling asleep while driving like you do in the states. ;-) Every time I go to the states driving is soooo boring compared to what I am used to here. I guess it's "relative".

Another cheap eat is La Plancha del Mar for happy hour. They have $5 small plates and $2 beers and yummy sangria from 5-7 Monday through Friday. It's upscale food at an unbelievable price. This place is a "not miss" in my not so humble opinion. You can search the forum to see what other people think.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

Rent the Jeep... Drive around and relax, speed limits are low, the number of roads are basically 3.. If you get lost someone will always help you out. My only advice would be to not drive a lot in the rain, or for about 30 min to a hour afterwards.. Not that it's that slick but the switch backs on the N.Shore road near Peter Bay can be very interesting in the rain! I met a dump truck on the last switchback before you crest the hill at the Peter Bay entrance and thought I was going to slide down the hill backwards (was not in 4 wheel drive and it had just rained) My wife made osme interesting sounds! But, once you survive that you good for life, HA ,,, Other than maybe a little slipperness 5% of time you have zero to worry about and lots of beautiful things to see ! Don't "jip" yourselves of the opportunity!

30. Re: Nervous driver and cheap eater!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 26, 2010