We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin St. John

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bethesda, md
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Westin St. John

We're staying for a week at the Westin St. John. Should we be renting a car for the week, or can we make do with daily rentals, taxis, etc.?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin St. John

I'd absolutely recommend renting a vehicle if you want to explore (which you should!) Doubtful that you can find "daily rentals" in any case and taxi fares (regulated and rated per person) add up very quickly. Best to rent a 4WD drive vehicle as the steep hills can be a little tricky after a rain shower. The Westin is very good by all accounts but the beach is man-made and there are much better than theirs.

Do read through all the general information available on this forum about St John and then use the search engine to filter through comments from the numerous visitors and residents who regularly post here with excellent advice about where to go, what to do and all else. The more research you do the better your adventure will be. As much as I tout St Thomas after 25 years here, St John remains very special. Happy planning. Cheers!

Fresno, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin St. John

Definitely rent a car. You will need it to get to Cruz Bay for restaurants, shopping, etc.

Good snorkeling spots--Hawksnest Bay, Trunk Bay (fee), Cinnamon Bay, Waterlemon, Salt Pond Bay.

Be sure to hit Skinny Leg's in Coral Bay for a burger and a beer.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin St. John

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the Westin does daily jeep rentals like Caneel and taxis are readily available.

As nice as the Westin is, the beach there isn't the best in St. John and it's nice to have the freedom to go to different beaches. I think I've heard people like to go out to the beaches in the morning and then head back to be poolside at the Westin in the afternoon. I'd say a weekly rental is you best bet, but you could get by with daily rentals mixing pool days and beach days.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
885 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin St. John

We stayed there last summer and rented a jeep at the Westin through O'Connor jeep rental, I think. It was very easy to pick up and return. I would definitely rent a jeep and hit the whole island. It's small and easy to get around. We left each morning and hit a northshore beach (Majo, Cinnamon, Trunk, Hawksnest), usually ate lunch in Coral Bay (try Skinny's, Shipwreck Landing or Miss Lucy's) and hit a beach over there in the afternoon. You can easily hit 2 beaches a day if you want to. We didn't do a lot of "beach sitting" because we spent most of our time in the water snorkeling and had a ball! I'm dreaming of a "beachy" Christmas!

NC
Level Contributor
788 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin St. John

Hi there - Honestly, I wouldn't rent for the entire week - just a couple of days should do you. I agree with the other replies regarding all the great North shore snorkel spots - however, we just got back and I have to say, the beach/water was the nicest I have ever seen it! Yes, if it isn't crowded (Xmas time you might encounter some probs), you shouldn't have any trouble renting a jeep at the Westin - the prices are pretty average for the island.

Have a great time!!

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin St. John

Westin Has a good car rental company. Rent on the days you need a car. Stayed there in October and O'Connor did a great job.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin St. John

We stayed at the Westin last year and are returning in March for a week. I would definitely rent a jeep. We reserved ours already. Westin is nice but the rest of the island is beautiful and should not be missed. The beach at the Westin is nothing like the real beaches on the rest of the island. Unless you are a there for the pool and spa you will want wheels.

jersey shore
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin St. John

I have stayed at the Westin for a week to 10 days in the last 5 years at least 6 times and not once did we NOT have a car rental for nearly the entire stay. I realize it is a personal preference but I can't imagine not having my own transportation to get out and about to all of the beaches, etc. the island has to offer. The taxi's are available to get you to town but they add up in no time.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
885 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin St. John

I agree with all the posts for renting a jeep. You won't get the true experience without one. O'Connor was easy and they were nice to deal with.

10. Re: Westin St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 10, 2009