We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental on STT or STJ?

Alexandria, VA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental on STT or STJ?

We will be staying on STJ for a week in January....

What is better, to rent a jeep on STT, car barge over or just rent a jeep on STJ?

(Assume that the car rental company is OK with taking the car to STJ.)

I looked into the different rates, in theory, it would be a savings to rent on STT plus hitting the grocery stores vs. Star Market on STJ. Yet I hear that barges are breaking down, if your plane is comes in late you could miss the car barge leaving you stuck over night on STT, etc...

Thoughts, suggestions?

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
938 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental on STT or STJ?

i've seen reports that persons had to wait for 3.5 hours for a car barge (since currently only one is running) and then other reports that persons have had no problems during weekdays--I imagine that on friday/weekends it might be a bit dicey--and no one can say when the other barges will be back in service--

we have already rented on STT and are regretting it--really the added cost for groceries and the like is pretty inconsequential--

i am not sure when in January you are going, but if it's over the holidays you may have trouble getting a car on STJ now.

florence, sc
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental on STT or STJ?

i highly recommend renting in St. Thomas and shop at cost u less (like sams club)...but i would not rent from Discount Car rental if you have an early flight back as they may decide to create damage to charge you more....

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental on STT or STJ?

I've rented on STT the last four times, but I would reserve on STJ right now due to the car barge issue. Its likely that they will be back to four barges soon, which is a joy. But, why take a chance?

Cheers, RickG

4. Re: Rental on STT or STJ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, October 17, 2009