We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

minnesota
7 posts
Save Topic
Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

We're going to St. John in March and are wondering if it's possible to hire a boat with a driver/captain to take us out to a deserted island or beach that's only accessable by water, drop the four of us off with a cooler of food and drink and then come pick us up a few hours later. Do such places even exist? If so, can you recommend anybody ?

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

There probably is but we have never done it. Another idea is to rent a dinghy from Noahs Little Arks and take yourself to secluded beaches with your cooler. We did it in July and had a blast- $145 for a 12 foot, $175 for a 14 foot for the entire day.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

Sandy Spit is a place you might want to consider for a deserted island. It is very, very small. I think there are other places, but I could not tell you.

Try contacting the owners of Lion In Da Sun (boat charter), and see if Matt or Josh can help you. They are 2 brothers who own the boat. www.LionInDaSun.com

Good luck. Sounds like fun!

MA
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that mnany St John beaches are pretty empty and secluded. You really don't have to rent a boat and go somewhere... you will be already be staying on an island paradise!

Buy the guidebook Feet, Fins and FWD- the best STJ guidebook around for beaches and snorkeling and swimming.

If you want privacy and secludedness, avoid the popular places: Trunk Bay, Cinnamon, Hawksnest, Maho, Francis.

Honestly, besides Trunk Bay when the cruise ships are in, you'll be surprised at what the definition of "crowded" is on a STJ beach. Hubby and I were always able to find a spot with privacy and shade no matter where we went.

Try Jumbie- go to the left and set up on the strip of sand behind the sea grapes- very private (hubby and I shared the entire beach with one other couple aaaaaalllll the way over on the other side). Also try Haulover- more rocky than sandy but calm as a tub and awesome snorkeling. Then try Vie's- she has lounges set up between the sea grape trees a little private spot as well as a snack bar- also awesome snorkeling. Also try Lameshur too.

St.Thomas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

While St.John beaches are beautiful, they will not be desserted in March. And Sandy Spit in March can be very crowded.. The most beautiful secluded Island beach would be Hans Lollick or Little Hans Lollick. DO NOT try getting there from a dingy in St.John, it is too far and too rough.. I would rent a boat from Ocean Runner and have them bring you there.. It can be a little rough water on the way, but that is why you won't find people there. The only inhabitants are goats, donkeys and various other small creachers..We used to camp there when I was a kid.. Since very few people venture there it is still as it was years ago.. The reefs are intact, the fish are plentiful,the only people you might see would be the local "frenchies" looking for lobster.. And if you get there after 10am they will most likely already be back on St.Thomas drinking.. Little Hans is even more beautiful than Big Hans. If you decide to rent the dingy as the other poster suggested, be careful, those things are small for 4 people. And if you rent 2 of them, you might as well rent a real boat with a captain. Tell them you want a captain who can catch lobster, there are tons of them between Big Hans and Little Hans.. He can catch your dinner while you relax on the beach.... Just my $.02.. Eric

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

i agree with eric

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

Noah's has new dinghy's- 14 ft. holds 8 people (I wouldn't want to ride w/ 8, however). You can't take them anywhere other than the north shore beaches of St. John anyway but many of them are without people (at least in July). We really enjoyed Soloman, Honeymoon, Jumbie, and Waterlemon.

minnesota
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

Eric. Thanks for that. No, we wouldn't rent a dinghy. The dream island would be uninhabited like you say, with a sandy beach that doesn't have huge waves.

Thanks to everyone for their input and keep it coming!!!

St Thomas
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

Whoever gave the advice on Hans Lollick that is dead on accurate. That is a deserted island with a very nice beach for the family. During the week you are almost guaranteed to have it to yourself, on the weekend there might be a camper or two.

Its going to cost you the boat rental for the day though which will run you around $450-$500.

The rest of the deserted Cays that dot the landscape don't really have nice beaches worth making a journey for. Hans Lollick has some good snorkeling too.

Have fun!

St.Thomas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

While evaluating the cost of a small power boat VS the day charters consider the cost per person. If a 28 foot twin engine Mako is say $350, plus gas and Captain, so like the other poster said, $500, call it $600 with Ice drinks and a nice tip for the capt. With 4 people that is $150 per head. Any decent day charter will be $100 a head.. So for $50 more you can get a whole different experience. Both are fun, but different.. On a nice day with a god captain a small power boat day will be one to remember for a long time. PS- Hans Lollick is by far the best place to fit the original poster's request, I have owned a power boat in St.Thomas for 25 years, trust me, I know the area. And I totally agree with the Poster who said it is more likely to be empty on a weekday..

Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat To A Deserted Island/Beach?

Five women are coming to St. John in Oct. Are dinghys difficult to operate? We just want to navigate around the island to the different beaches. None of us are experts, or even novices at driving a boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.