We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideal # days to rent a jeep

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
ideal # days to rent a jeep

Honeymooning in St. John in late April. We'll be there for exactly a week and want to balance out relaxing and exploring.

I'm thinking that it would be wise to rent a jeep for a minimum of 3 days... probably mid-way through the trip. My fiance strongly believes that we should rent it for a shorter period.

So, what would you all recommend? Are the taxis reliable enough to get us around everywhere (I don't like the idea of waiting on the side of the road for a taxi).

Thanks.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
596 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

It really depends on where you will be staying on St John in considering the lenght of time to rent a jeep. If you stay in a villa out in coral bay you will need a rental all week. If you are staying within walking distance of Cruz Bay you can rent for less days. St John is a island to explore. Taxis will take you to most North Shore beaches.

If you can tell us where you are staying we can provide you with better info.

Congratulation on you upcoming wedding! You are going to love St John.

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

Thanks,

We'll be staying at Estate Lindholm, which is in / near Cruz Bay. How exactly do the taxis work? For example, is it a matter of hailing one down, or calling ahead and arranging a specific pickup point and time (or a combination of the two)?

Basically, my main concern is that if we took a taxi to a North Shore beach how would we arrange getting back to the hotel?

Abe
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

We rented for the whole week -- but we always seemed to see taxis hanging around the parking lot for the north shore beaches. In fact they usually had part of the lot reserved for taxis only.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
596 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

Hello again,

I believe Estate Lindholm is a 10 minute walk to town. Taxis

are always hanging around the ferry dock. I have never been to EL but i have read some great reviews and the owners are very helpful. I'm sure you can get a taxi from your B&B and ask the cab driver to return at certain time to pick you up and go back home. Jeep rentals run around $70.00 a day so unless you are going to explore the east end of the island alot, i would say 2 days would be enough. You mentioned relaxing and exploring some. Most cabs don't like to go to the east end much. It's hard to get a cab back. Cabs run about $3.00 a person plus tip. I have to side with your future husband.

You may want to take a boat ride to the BVI and you don't need a jeep that day. Or you might want to take the ferry to St Thomas for a day. No car needed that day.

You are on your honeymoon and I'm sure you will need to just hang out after you get there and before you go home.

What ever you decide, I'm sure you will have a very enjoyable trip. Good Luck...I hope this helps.

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

stella39

I appreciate your input . I post on another forum as well and all I ever got was tsk-tsk, you will need a jeep. Since I have a minimum of 3 day trips planned, no way am I going to spring for a jeep for a week. We also will be staying right in Cruz bay. I decided to go with my gut and "worry" about it after I get there.

mje113

I suggest you buy a copy of Feet, Fins and FWD. It is a paperback that costs about $10-12 and it gives very good information about how to get around the island. Gives detailed information about beaches, snorkeling, hiking trails and jeep/island tour routes. You should easily find it on line and is well worth the money. I plan on taking it with me for quick references. It also tells you where the taxis do and don't go, busses etc.

By the way, I have read that if you are taking a taxi from a beach, you will probably have to wait for it to fill up more. The rate apparently goes down if there are more people. The "taxis" are like big jeeps with canopied benches in the back. In St Lucia, most of the taxis are vans. Not like in the states.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
596 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideal # days to rent a jeep

Another good purchase would be the National Geographic Virgin Island National Park map.

Good info on hiking trails and snorkeling. It's water proof and it's very detailed. You can buy it on line for about $10.00. I don't know if you can buy the map on St John.

When someone mentions an area, I go right to my map and make some notes for a not to miss spot.

Enjoy your trip. It's a great place to relax and explore. This will be our 3 trip to St John. The last time we were there it was 1998. We leave in a week. Very excited.

Relax and get on "island time" quick. What ever you miss this time you can see next time. You will be back. It's that kind of an island.