We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John good for family with small kids?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
charlotte, nc
1 post
Save Topic
St John good for family with small kids?

i'm thinking spending 4-6 days in late november on one of the US virgin islands. heard that st john is preferred to st thomas in general. but particularly, is st john a good idea for a family of four including 2 small kids (4.5 yr old and 2 yr old)? thanks!

Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

I just returned from a week on St. John and it was paradise. I liked it much better than St. Thomas. St. Thomas was just like most Caribbean islands, crowded, lots of traffic, and rip-off shopping...very hectic. Most of St. John is a national park. There is traffic around Cruz Bay, but it wasn't too bad. Island activities include hiking, snorkeling, water sports and lots of interesting restaurants and bars. Your children are really too young to enjoy it because there are not a lot of "childrens' activities." The Westin might have activities for the little ones, you can check their website. There were also kids at Trunk Bay because of the facilities and lifeguards. I met a couple camping with their young children and they were miserable. The bugs are really bad and the kids had bug bits all over them. It was very hot too. My honest opinion would be to leave your children with the grandparents and enjoy 4-6 wonderful, romantic days on St. John with your hubby.

Stamford, CT
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

Has anyone stayed at the Westin St. John with kids? How was it? How were the activities?

Clifton, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

I stayed on St John last summer. My children were older (8 to 14). My children enjoyed snorkling and beach combing, but found it rather dull otherwise. Restaurants did not really cater to children, and were expensive. No ice cream shops, etc. But your children are younger and if going to the beach with buckets and shovels is all they like to do, its great!

charlotte,nc
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

We just returned from the westin in st. John over Labor Day weekend. It was great. We did not take our children(6-11) on this trip but I think they would have a great time here. We have taken our Children to Aruba and Grand Cayman and they had a great time in both places. They just love the island life, beach, and sunset. All three places are very different. I would rate Caymans the best, then St. john and then aruba. I would take my kids with me to either place. Have a great time!!!!!!!!

Denver, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

we just returned from st john for thanksgiving and my 1 yr old son has bug bites all over him. at first I thought they were mosquito but now I heard they may be other types? anyone know about this? also, it seems like more are coming but we are home - could I have brought them home with me? they are red spots large and small. it was a great time! we stayed in the Windsong Villa and the kids swam in the pool in floaties all day. we cooked every night in our villa and then went to trunk bay and hawksnest. all in all agreat time. just bring beach stuff and you should be ok. there was shade.

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

The only things you can do with kids is go to the beach or out to eat. No TV,no movies, etc., although the Westin has a kids program if you are staying there. So, depends on what your kids like to do.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St John good for family with small kids?

We love St. John so much we bought a house here two years ago. We also have a 2 year old whom we bring with us 3 to 4 times a year. If you rent a villa with a pool and a TV with VCR/DVD, it's like being at home except home is in one of the most beautiful places on earth. We have friends who stay with us every year with their 4 kids aged 5,5,7,10! And we never seem to run out of things to do and everyone is so tuckered out from activities it seems we can't stay up past 9. But if your time here is not that long, definitely stay at the Westin who have a children's activity program and an amazing swimming pool. They also have baby-sitting services. Rent a car right from the hotel's lobby and take the kids around the island to the various gorgeous kid-friendly beaches. Do bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray. Anywhere warm is going to have strong sun and bugs. I can't understand parents who end up with sunburnt and bug-bitten kids. It only takes a little time to research anything these days. You are very prudent to get the facts before you travel with kids! St. John is not cheap... but you do get your money's worth.