We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A/C or not???

Kalispell
Level Contributor
400 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
A/C or not???

I am looking at a visit in June and finding that some villas advertise that the winds keep their places cool. Is this true, or should I hold out for A/C in the bedroom?

NH
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A/C or not???

I would suggest having ac at least in the bedrooms. When you are at the beach or hanging by the pool, the heat is fine, but when you are trying to sleep I think it is better to have ac.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A/C or not???

The need for a/c is pretty subjective. What some people experience as pleasant tropical humidity is oppressive, stifling heat for others. People did live on STJ long before there was any such thing as a/c. People still stay at Maho, Concordia and Cinnamon w/o a/c. Many of the older villas (actually "West Indian-style cottages" rather than the monstrous villas that are replacing them) have only fans. Caneel only recently added a/c.

Since you're inquiring, I suspect that you will want a/c, so get it. We don;t look for a/c and haven't used it when we've had it. When we're on STJ, we like to feel that we're really in the tropics. I like the heat and I like the house open so I can hear the sounds and smell the fragrances. I like that on vacation. If I lived on STJ, I'd probably want more a/c.

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A/C or not???

Bellman is right.

My husband would never dream of having our house warmer than 72 degrees in the summer yet he slept without AC at Caneel Bay several times during the middle of summer.

Cool is relative. Depending on where the house is located, cool may mean 80 degrees with enough breeze to keep it from feeling muggy.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A/C or not???

I went to St. John for years and didn't have ac and didn't really feel uncomfortable. The weather, winds, can make a difference and it's a hit or miss situation. It's always better to have the option of air for sleeping. However, I will say that I miss the night sounds from the old days. With the air on you don't hear anything...with it off you feel as if you're sleeping in the jungle!

Kalispell
Level Contributor
400 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A/C or not???

Thanks everyone! It has been below zero quite a bit here in Montana this winter, and at the moment warm temps sound positively wonderful. You are right, however - by June I may regret a decision that does not include A/C!

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A/C or not???

I love those cute little St. John tree frogs chirping in the evening but when you are trying to sleep, you better have the A/C and fans turned on HIGH to drown them out! Maybe some Melatonin too!

p.s. my parents visited Kalispell last June and loved it! You are lucky to live there!

7. Re: A/C or not???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, August 22, 2009