We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Air into St Thomas

atlanta
14 posts
Save Topic
Spirit Air into St Thomas

Has anyone flown Spirt Air from US city to STT? Good experience? Rates seem to be the best for us out of Atlanta.

Irma
Level Contributor
272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Air into St Thomas

I've flown Spirit out of Chicago a couple of times....once to STT and once to Punta Cana. Had no problems. Good service on new jets.

I've had to make connections through Fort Lauderdale.

Mark

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Air into St Thomas

last may, my fiance and i flew to charlotte-amalie with spiritair. we flew out of DC and had a brief stop in ft. lauderdale. everything from checking to boarding to flying to arriving was really smooth and we had no problems. and you can't beat their rates. but because their rates are low, don't expect to get pampered. i mean, they will provide you with non-alcoholic beverages, but you'll have to pay for the booze and food. i suggest eating before the trip starts. also, there won't be any TVs or movies on the plane. bring a good book or magazine, something to listen to, maybe some crossword puzzles or suduko if you are into that kind of stuff. or you could just look out the window and admire the view. i believe that too and from the VI you'll fly over some some other Caribbean islands.

also, remember to bring your passport with you even though it is a US territory. you'll need it to get back. my fiance and i didn't bring it and customs down there gave us quite a lecture. but ultimately, they still let us go home.

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Air into St Thomas

mcvin27,

The person who gave you and your fiance a hard time had no right to do so. A passport is not required by U.S. citizens to return to the U.S. from the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I copied and pasted this piece from: http://www.on-stjohn.com/

It’s America Dammit! No passport required

January 23rd, 2007

Got your passport? Good. But you don’t need one. No, wait. You do. No you don’t. Do too! Do not! Man, it’s amazing how something so simple got so repeatedly mis-reported so much! Although as everything post-9/11, the new passport requirements are, well confusing. YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT TO RETURN TO THE UNITED STATES FROM THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS. (Unless you’re not an American, in which case we reserve the right to ask you some really stupid questions about why you don’t look and talk like us.)

Now…you’d think the USVI tourism folks would be making huge waves over this. Quoted in Tuesday’s Wall Street Journal, USVI Dept. of Tourism Director Henry de Lagarde. “We didn’t want to come out and rub it in their nose, so we did nothing,” referring to the rest of the Caribbean islands that are affected by the new rules. We did nothing? At least hotels are. The USVI Hotel and Tourism Association has promotions going that can knock 20% off some lodging, including deals at the Westin. Check out the Assocation’s deals here. Oh. And get a passport anyway. Your kids will think you’re cool. State Department’s official passport site here

I found it disconcerting to read that you were lectured for no reason whatsoever....mia

georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Air into St Thomas

gogagirl

We too are flying with Spirit out of Atlanta in May. Our past 3 trips to STT, we went with Delta-but the prices with Spirit were to good to pass. I had not even heard of this line when I found tickets. Have seen ads lately. Hopefully will go well for both of us!

5. Re: Spirit Air into St Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 22, 2009