We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks when snorkeling?

nyc
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks when snorkeling?

Very new to snorkeling and have an awful, awful fear of sharks (but love to swim). I read on another post about trouble with sharks at Blue Cobblestone and Waterlemon. Has this been an issue with anyone before?

Also, was wondering if there are snorkel guides who could take us out just from the beaches, not from a boat excursion.

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

That movie Open Water really got to me too! Gave me the creeps. We are going to St John for thr first time the end of this year. Staying at Gallows Point also. I don't think you will be disappointed in The Grenadine Islands. We day tripped there from St Lucia and the islands are stunningly beautiful. You will be right in the middle, so you should easily be able to take day sails to other islands. Be sure to go to the Tobago Cays where the famous Horseshoe Reef is. If you stay late enough in the day, you can order a lobster from one of the boat vendors and have them BBQ it for you.

ACB, thanks again for the great advice. You actually gave me a little more confidence.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
873 Reviews
St. John
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Horseshoe Reef
Horseshoe Reef
132 Reviews
Anegada
Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

I understand your fear of sharks - I have the same fear (or at least used to). Once you spend a goodly amount of time snorkeling, you may find your fears diminishing as mine have. I have logged a lot of time snorkeling, both in shallow waters along the shore and deeper waters at offshore reefs, and in all that time I haven't seen so much as a nurse shark. I never thought I would say this, but now I would actually like to see a shark! If you do get to see one, consider yourself lucky.

Remember that the shallow, warm waters of the Caribbean are generally considered to be an underwater desert (that's why the water is so clear - there isn't a lot of life floating around in it). It takes an extensive food supply to support a large predator, so those waters really aren't very attractive to the kinds of big sharks that might pose a real threat to people.

And, to riff off a previous poster, if you were to have an unfortunate run-in with a 20' Great White in the Caribbean, you will be know to history as the one individual with the worst luck known to man! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

I have the opposite feeling toward sharks, absolute fascination (though I'm sure there would be some fear if I were to face one). Aside from Nurse Sharks, what other varieties are found in St. John waters?

Also, does anyone know of a good online resource for marine life found in the Virgin Islands?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

We were in St. Johns in August '04 and there was several nursing sharks at Cinnamon Bay which I was told that they do not harm you. We did not see any at Trunk Bay. Everyone on the beach warned everyone else about them. The sharks stayed off to the right side of the beach, which was the unfortunate part, because that was the best area to snorkel. People still stayed in the water, but they stayed far away from that side of the water.

If you are a beginner snorkeler, Trunk Bay has an underwater trail that is every good. I am not aware of any snorkel guides that take you out from the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Cinnamon Bay
Cinnamon Bay
289 Reviews
St. John
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
2,596 Reviews
St. John
new york
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

I wouldn't even worry about the Barracuda....use common sense. At Gallow's there is a famous barracuda named Oscar that likes to stick around the dock. One night while we were night snorkeling, we saw a barracuda next to a ladder off a boat. He was verticle, trying to blend in with the ladder.

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

I've been fortunate enough to have spent alot of my youth & early adulthood snorkelling & scuba diving in the waters around St. John. I know well the waters around my parents house on Limetree Bay, East End, as well as Stephen's Cay, Carvel Rock, the Northshore beaches, the BVI & the shipwreck of the Rhone, as well as my favorite beach, Lameshur. I've been landlocked in Ohio the last 20 years, with occasional trips to East End every few years. Here is my shark report for St. John:

Spotting the placid Nurse Shark is not a common occurance, but can occasionally happen. It's a thrill for a novice, and makes for a good vacation story, but it is the 'Special Olympics' of Shark encounters. In my 100 plus dives and uncountable snorkelling trips, I've enjoyed the company of Nurse Sharks on only three occasions, and the sighting of a 5 foot Lemon Shark only once. If you want sharks, go to the Great Barrier Reef, because there just aren't any around St. John.

Now, if you like Barracudas, St. John waters have those. They won't attack you, but they'll scare the crap out of you. They're VERY territorial, and will follow you if you invade it. I had a six footer swim up on me out of the north shadows off Carvel Rock when I was a younger man. But they've never attacked a human.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
East End
East End
St. Thomas
michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

I will claim I see sharks all the time if it will keep people away and retrn STJ to 20 years ago, but I realize that is not going to happen..............you have much more to worry about driving from your home to the airport to come to STJ than having an uncomfortable experiance with a shark............I have swam next to many nurse (no danger) and a few black tip with no problem. They don't want anything to do with you

St. John
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Sharks when snorkeling?

Hi Just to clear this up have been in the virgins for over 30 years and have been runing fishing boats and snorkel boats here lots of sharks on the north drop(20MILES OFFSHORE) but I have never seen a shark wile snorkling around the islands !!!!!!!!!!!