We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you get to all the beaches?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do you get to all the beaches?

I have read so many posts about snorkeling at all the different beaches, my question is how do you find and get to all of them? Do we need to rent a dinghy or can we follow directions from some books?

Thanks!

Denise

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

you don't need a dinghy... two great books that give you the low down on beaches and more are : St. John Off The Beaten Track and St.John Feet Fins & Four Wheel Drive. i don't know if they're carried in all book stores but you can order through this website -- www.usvi-on-line.com Have Fun !!!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

If you drive the north shore you'll see some of the prettiest beaches anywhere...just stop and stay awhile.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

Rent a car (in advance) and explore.

In the long run it will save you the $ you would overspend doing truck/taxis back and forth along northshore.

MA
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

All the beaches on St John are open to the public. There are, literally, 2 or 3 that you only reach by dinghy. Some have to be hiked to (5-60 minute hikes depending on the beach). Others are on the side of the road and you can pull right up to them.

Rent a FWD vehicle and explore!

Boston
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

how much time do you have and what experience are you looking for (i.e., snorkeling, diving, swimming, relaxing, seclusion, sand quality, water quality etc...). I need more information to render my expert opinion :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

You can also do some preliminary research on stjohnbeachguide.com - it has the basics on each beach, facilities, access, etc. And lots of pretty pictures. :)

virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

get a map and rent a car. we stayed on st thomas but kept comming back to st john. next year it's a villa on st john for us!!

since we were doing a first year tour and had 3 kids and depended o nthe car barge to get us back we didn't do any of the hiking beaches.

But all the north shore beaches are easy to get to and well marked.

Some of the bigger ones have parking lots and showers etc...

Explore it is truely beautiful.

ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

Hey St.JohnVirgin,

Sorry I am just now getting around to posting, had trouble with the computer.

We are going to be on St. John for 10 days, renting a villa and 4wheel drives. We love to snorkel and spend time at beautiful beaches. There will be 8 of us and we all love to explore the islands, snorkel, drink, swim and just chill out at the beach. Hiking a little bit would be allright. We are all in pretty good health but don't want to walk more than maybe a half mile at the most-it's vacation!We really like the out of the way places and also old historic places.

We love to hear local music and find the local , out-of-the way places to eat.

Thanks!

Denise

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

neisy, Please right a review when you return. You guys sound just like the people we would love to meet up with. What villa are you renting.

ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you get to all the beaches?

Hi Darlsay,

We are renting Villa Claudia from April 19-29th. How about you?