We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking boots?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
upstate ny
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hiking boots?

Hi,

We finalized our trip to St. John...yippie! Staying in a beautiful villa just above Kiddle Bay in March. It looks like hiking is a must while we're there. Any recommendations about boots......if they're needed in this environment, if so, what type are best? Thanks.

R

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking boots?

We always do some hiking when we're on STJ. There's a variety of trails ranging from strolls to more demanding hikes. We've never brought boots (and never wished that we had). I wear sneakers, but some of the easier hikes could probably be done easily in Tevas.

virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking boots?

Tevas worked fine for us as well. But I really want some ugly Keens... maybe next time.

I think boots would take up too much space in your bag and you really don't need them.

If your worried about your toes...a good pair of sneakers would be fine, but I'd check out the Keens hiking shoe cooler for your feet and they can get wet and will dry much faster.

Scarsdale, New york
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking boots?

For what it's worth we hiked both Ram's Head and Reef Bay Trails in sneakers a couple of weeks ago.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking boots?

Leave the hiking boots at home...sneakers will do just fine.

upstate ny
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking boots?

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Melbourne, FL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking boots?

keens....they go everywhere....get the newport waterproof style. they dry quickly, have toe protection and are very comfortable with or without socks. we've used ours to hike in the grand canyon as well as in wet, rocky terrain. check out nordstroms as they often have them on sale.

7. Re: hiking boots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 24, 2009