We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

We will be staying at the Westin in a "regular" room very soon. We requested a pool view room. However, now I have read that there is some noisy and extensive construction going on there now from morning til night 7 days a wk.! Supposedly the pool view rooms get most of the noise from this work. We want to call back and ask to get a room elsewhere to avoid the noise. Can anyone suggest any other area on the property that would be nice yet offer their basic rooms (our's comes as part of the pkg. for a meeting my dh is attending there)? We are not familiar w/the layout and don't know what to ask for. Thanks for any help on this issue!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

While I don't have an answer to your question I do have an additional question to ask about the Westin St. John. I too am interested in the answer as we just booked a six night stay at the westin for right after thanksgiving.

Is it a good deal to sign up for the airport transfers through the westin? It seems expensive though convienent especially since you can do unlimited trips back to St. Thomas. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

While I don't have an answer to your question I do have an additional question to ask about the Westin St. John. I too am interested in the answer as we just booked a six night stay at the westin for right after thanksgiving.

Is it a good deal to sign up for the airport transfers through the westin? It seems expensive though convienent especially since you can do unlimited trips back to St. Thomas. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

Compulady, this is a tough question. Isn't it $85 pp for airport transportation and unlimited ferry transportation? If it was not "pp" it would be WELL worth it just because of cab fare on both islands to get to the Westin from the airport using the regular ferry. But since it is pp, you have to consider and calculate some things.

Have you checked w/the Westin to see what it would cost to merely have the transportation to/from the airport to the hotel? (In our case, whatever we get is covered by our group fees.) One thing I did find out was that the Westin's ferry operates out of the docks at Crown Bay. NOT by the main docks closest to Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas, which means you will have to use a cab. Last time we docked at Crown Bay (on a cruise) was in March of '05. At that time I THINK we had to pay about $3 pp each way to reach town by taxi. It's too far for most people to walk. You have to take that into consideration, as well as how many times you intend to go back and forth between the Westin and C. Amalie? If you go back through these posts or perhaps do a search (not that that usually works all that well!) you will find some posts about cab fares from the airport, links to ferry schedules, prices, etc.) Also, are you only going to visit Charlotte Amalie on St. Thos.? If you want to go to other areas and beaches, some of them are closer to Red Hook, where the normal ferry from Cruz Bay, STJ goes. That's about a 20 min. ferry ride. I THINK it costs about $7 RT to use that ferry, but my prices might be off (?). There is also a 45 min. ferry from Cruz Bay to C.Amalie that used to cost $12. Don't know about the price now, though. You can find ferry prices by checking out the ferry schedule sites.

So, basically, t you should estimate how often you want to go to Charlotte Amalie; find out what it would cost on your own to get to/from the Westin from the airport; and also if you can purchase only the airport transportation w/out the everyday ferry runs. Personally, I think I would use the Westin's ferry for convenience SOMETIMES, but we also want to just cross over to Red Hook, explore it more, maybe dine there a time or two, and get a car to drive around on our own on St. Thomas. Hope this helps!

4. Re: Westin Construction Noise - Best rooms to get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 16, 2009