We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Importance of A/C in January?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Importance of A/C in January?

We've found a villa to rent that has all the amenities we're looking for, at a good price. At the last minute I realized it doesn't have any A/C. this villa (Altamira) is within walking distance to the water, so its not at the top of a big hill.

How necessary is a/c in January? Does it get uncomfortably warm, enough so that open windows and ceiling fans aren't enough? we're not A/C junkies, but we'd hate to roast all night.

thanks for your input!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

I'm not familiar with that particular villa but in January there are usually cooling breezes in the evening (think avearage nightime temps in the mid-70's F.) but you are dealing with mother nature and there's no way to predict if the breezes will be blowing, if the direction of the breezes will be such that they cool that particular villa or what the actual temperatures will be during the week or 2 you will be on-island.

For what it is worth, a lot of rental villas don't have A/C.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

It really does depend on your heat sensitivity. We're from New England so we are used to cooler weather. We keep our A/C blasting even in January. The locals sometimes complain about how cold it is in January (e.g. 75-82 degrees). I think you can get away without A/C if there are ceiling fans and screened openings to the house. I say screened, because it is nearly Altamira has a swimming pool, no? That helps a lot too in case of a scorcher. Also, keep a lot of ice in the freezer and drink a lot of cool ones.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

Oops... hit the button before finishing sentence. I meant to say it is nearly impossible to enjoy yourself if mosquitos are eating you alive. It's the tropics so IMO screens are even more important than A/C. Some local homes do not even have screens but you need a long time living in that environment before you can adapt to that. FYI, you should be prepared with plenty of strong bug spray for those times you want to hang out in unscreened spaces. A strong breeze is also a great bug deterrent, but you can't always count on that.

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

We almost took Moon Cottage with no AC. We were glad we opted for AC. We are from South Texas where it is humid and HOT. However, St. John in October was even worse. I would be safe and get the AC. We had none in our main room, and found ourselves sticky and hot most evenings even when there was a breeze.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

Hi, rip - Looks like a really nice villa and I think you are high enough off the water that you will get a breeze if the wind is blowing. We stayed at Morningside in May a couple of years ago in Klein Bay and your villa looks like it may even be at a slightly higher elevation. Here's a link for location comparison: http://www.morningsidevilla.com/index.html. Morningside is a very open house with bedroom a/c only. I really missed some screens but the no-see-ums would go right through them anyway - lol. Most nights we used ceiling fans rather than a/c to sleep. We are from the Chicago area and hate the heat, if that gives you any idea. When they talk about access to a snorkeling spot they don't mean that you are right on the water - they mean that you will have to walk down one or more short roads and find what may turn out to be a steep path down to the water. The beaches at Rendezvous, Klein, Fish are mostly pebble or rocky entries. Ditliff has a sandy entry but I am not sure if access to Ditliff Point is blocked now because of the construction - maybe others will chime in on that. Just my opinion, but to me there is a big difference between October weather and January weather - you are going to have far less humidity. We were down there once during the first week of February and when the sun started to slide late afternoon I was glad I had brought a long-sleeved tee. Relax - your villa is beautiful - have a wonderful time!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

Thanks for the info, especially Margyz. We're going to go for the no - A/C route - we''ll be sleeping "al fresco", I guess. I'll be sure and post a review on the villa when we get back

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

I will be waiting for your post when you get back. I finally found Altamira online and it looks great! I think that you have made a really good choice!

8. Re: Importance of A/C in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 13, 2009