We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Island Drinks

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
12 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Island Drinks

Anyone know what the recipe for a "painkiller" entails?

Rum, OJ, Coconut juice, nutmeg

What am I missing?

Headed to Virgin Gorga in Nov and want to have my fill. Any other drink recommendations?

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

Here you go (these are my fave!):

1.5oz dark rum

1.5oz OJ

1oz pineapple juice

1oz Coco Lopez

fresh nutmeg

Mix juices in a shaker and pour over ice. Add rum and top with grating of fresh nutmeg. YUM!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

Another popular one is the Bushwhacker...

1oz each of

Dark Rum

Vodka

Kahlua

Frangelico

Amaretto

Bailey's Irish Cream

Blend in a blender over ice. Drizzle chocolate syrup around the inside of a cup, pour in blended drink, top with a little chocolate syrup. With these... a little goes a long way. They taste like a chocolate shake, they go down very easy.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

Bushwackers are yummy!! I enjoyed them much more than painkillers, which have pineapple juice. One sip and all I could taste was pineapple - yuck!

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

If you are not big into fruit juice type drinks (I like them but sometimes I don't feel like having something so "heavy"), you could try a wonderfully refreshing Crucian favorite. I don't know if it has a particular name but it is simply rum, ginger ale and lime juice to taste. They love something similar in Bermuda which they call a "Dark and Stormy" made of ginger beer and dark rum. Sweet but a bit lighter than juice.

St. John
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

The Painkiller ratio is 4/1/1 Pineapple/OJ/Coconut

Painkiller recipe:

4 oz. Pineapple juice

1 oz. cream of coconut

1 oz. orange juice

2 oz. Pusser’s Rum or any dark rum

Mix all ingredients and serve over ice. Top with fresh grated nutmeg and enjoy!

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

I agree that the pineapple juice flavour can be pretty strong, that's why we like to use only 1oz..... but hey, half the fun is finding your own favourite way to make them! Bottoms up!

PHILADELPHIA, PA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

The painkillers at the Soggy Dollar Bar are profoundly overrated...I've had stronger beer. Make your own (you can find all of the ingredients at a liquor store there) or go to Sogo's (Caribbean) Restaurant. By far, this little eat in joint had the best painkillers on the entire island...bar none.

No other drink recommendations aside from what you would otherwise have at home...

Enjoy

8. Re: Virgin Island Drinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. John