We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day guest to Caneel beaches

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
day guest to Caneel beaches

Headed back to St. John in 2 weeks for the first time in 4 years. I've seen mentions of new restrictions on day guest use of Caneel (and Honeymoon?) Beach. How is the resort currently handling this? Can day guests still use Caneel Beach? Can beach chairs, coolers, snorkeling equipment, etc. be brought to Caneel and/or Honeymoon Beach by day guests? Are there shady spots available along the beach for day guests?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

Oh and st john is the least depressing place on the planet imho . But maybe people who went there before it became popular might find it more built up and may be nostalgic for another time , cant say I blame them.

But not depressing in a runned down sense . St jihn is quit beautiful but you will see that for yourself, have a great trip.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

You will have a great trip. STJ is a very special place for many people and there are so many beaches to enjoy that the few that are being debated here are a non-issue.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of feet, fins, and 4wd and/or St John: off the beaten path. You will soon discover that there are more beaches than you can visit in one trip.

Folks (me included) some times forget that debated issues can be discouraging for first timers.

Enjoy your trip!

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

Thanks NJSurfsup and Tinkerbelldee for the positive posts. When I was looking into my vacation, I didn't sense that St. John was depressing at all, which is why i was kind of shocked to see the statement. It wasn't outrageously expensive, the crime seemed low compared to a lot of other islands I looked at, it was easy to get to, and I was impressed by the amount of beautiful beaches. I can understand why so many more people have been drawn to it over the years.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

Feel free to start another post with any questions you may have! STJ can be an addiction and we are happy to feed that addiction for you! :)

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

St. John is about as depressing as a room full of puppies. I had the time of my life there, and am counting the months until I can get back.

You'll go, come back, and dream of going again and again. Trust me.

Saint Paul...
2 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

In late March my family of 5 bought the Honeymoon Beach Day Pass through St John Eco Tours: Hammocks, beach chairs, paddle boards included. Arrived at CB early in the the AM and the gate-keeper had our name on a list so we parked "free". Easy. Was it worth it? Great beaches and snorkeling - spent time on Honeymoon and Salomon and didn't have to lug a bunch of stuff to the beach but wow $$$. Caneel sure owns access.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

We had lunch at Caneel Resort last week. You will discover quickly that outside of the ruins and simply "checking out" the resort... the beach isn't worth the trouble.

Too many other amazing beaches to visit in my opinion.

The food and drinks were good. The service was decent. But this is not what I came to St. John for.

48. Re: day guest to Caneel beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2015