We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm fees

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Atm fees

I typically travel with only a couple of hundred dollars and put mostly everything on Amex. My understanding is very few places accept it. Are they ATM fees high on St John? Would prefer to take out $$ as needed rather than travel with a lot of cash. I suppose Visa is an option as well. Are there international fees charged to credit card transactions? Haven't been in ten years..can't remember.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
atlanta
Level Contributor
77 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm fees

If I remember correctly their are 2 ATMs in Cruz Bay. They charged between $3-5. Our bank refunds all ATM fees but it could get expensive depending on how many times you use it. We also love to use our Amex but found few who accepted it. We did not have any international charges on our visa.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm fees

My one ATM transaction on St. John was a $100 withdrawal that cost me about $115 in total--I don't remember the details. I'll never use an ATM on St. John again if I can help it.

Edited: 10:32 am, April 05, 2014
Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
M M
United States
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm fees

I tried to use the ATMs in Cruz Bay, but they were either out of money, or just not working. There were two on the corner at the 1st Bank. Neither were working on a Monday, late afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm fees

Never had an issue with the ATMs, although the $3-5 fee sounds right. Most places take Visa. But if you are going on a private charter, most of them need cash for the charter fee and the BVI entry, although you can put the fuel on Visa. Also, car barges are cash only

Edited: 11:30 am, April 05, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm fees

We take extra cash. A lot of places are cash only on STJ. We then used credit where we can & use cash elsewhere. We have not used the ATM but it is easy to find.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm fees

My atm charges were $3 everywhere we went. I think it all depends on your bank, because my friends was higher than that. If the machines at First Bank are down there is also one in the Parrot Club as well as one at Cocolobo Plaza in Coral Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm fees

There are two ATM machines at Firstbank, one at Banco Popular (newest, which is near the ferry dock @ Mooies) another in the Parrot Club (Wharfside Village), two at Scotiabank in the Marketplace, and a few others scattered around island. The fees associated will depend on two things, the machine you withdraw from, and the fees associated with the card you are using. Check with your bank to see what kind of fees they have and also let them know you will be traveling. The ATM's here will charge between $2-$5. I haven't had a problem in many many years withdrawing from an ATM. They used to break, run out of money, etc… but with the number of them we have now, doesn't seem to be an issue.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm fees

We were just there and for my bank ATM (Suntrust) the 1st Bank charged $5 and the Banco Popular charges $2.50 (directly across the street from Cafe Livin). We have never had a problem with the ATMs on STJ although we have on other islands. We also have a Southwest Visa that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and most places in STJ accept credit cards (NOT Cafe Livin or 420 to Center though.)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm fees

You're in the US. No international fees.

We like the Scotia Bank ATM as it issues larger denomination bills. The VI, and the BVI even more so, are more cash-based than CONUS. Credit card fees are significantly higher than the continent and AmEx is highest. There are a few places in the BVI that only take credit cards with a 3% service charge. We try to keep enough cash on hand to settle smaller transaction with cash.

Cheers, RickG

Mentioned in this post
St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm fees

Even though we are not international, I have clients that bank at places in the states that charge international fees when they withdraw from ATM's in the territories. If I recall correctly, they are smaller credit union type banks. So it's a good idea to check with the bank your card is issued from.