We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shoes?

Hi all,

My husband and I leave Friday for 6 days in St. John. It's our first trip. First of all, this forum is so helpful - we are so excited and have learned so much from reading all of the questions and overviews.

However, I am wondering about shoes. We are renting a jeep to explore the island, but we would like to go hiking/walking to some of the closer beaches (we are staying at the Westin). What kind of shoes would you recommend? Tennis shoes? Are teva-type sandals okay? Also, are any of the beaches rocky, requiring water shoes, or can you walk on the beach/wading in in your bare feet?

Thanks so much!

Casie

Ps..will take any "you must do this" advice on St. John too! ;)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes?

I wear tennis shoes on the plane so that I have them for the more serious hikes like Reef Bay trail. Teva-type sandals would probably be OK too. I wear cheap, but sturdy, sandals that I can also wear in the water for everything else. They aren't cute, but functional. Most beaches are sandy and you can just walk into the water without shoes. You'll need Teva's, water shoes or sturdy sandals for Waterlemon, East End and South Shore beaches.

Take Ziplock baggies. They come in handy for lots of things.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes?

I am not a hiker but we do walk into some beaches. I wear flip flops everywhere but I would likely wear Teva's if I was hiking.

I have never needed water shoes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes?

I wore water shoes on the plane and around town when doing light hikes/walks on non-sand surfaces. Like Tinkerbelldee notes, I never needed them to actually serve their intended purpose as water shoes :), but I found them useful as an alternative to sneakers/tennis/running shoes. I hate wearing (or lugging around) heavy sneakers when going to a warm destination. FWIW, I got Mary Jane-style ones from Lands' End with a discount coupon so they were super-cheap, light but still supporting nice-looking, and very comfy. (They have a tiny bit of a heel, which is more comfortable for me - I can't do flip-flops; too flat.)

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes?

I wear flipflops around town, teva-like when I'm out and about. Even if we decide to go to somewhere like Maho, which is literally steps from the jeep, we might decide to go somewhere else later. If I were doing the Reef Bay Trail, I'd probably favor something like walking or running shoes and socks. That might be good for Ram Head also, although I've done it in tevas. As for water shoes, you don't need them on most beaches, but they might come in handy for rocky beaches like Haulover North, Blue Cobblestone, Lameshure (not Little Lameshure, which is sand) Rendezvous Bay, etc. That said, I've done pretty much all of them without water shoes. Good luck

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
456 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes?

I wear Keens onto the plane (with socks when it's cold out, not a good look) and use them for the hiking-type stuff. Flip flops for everything else. On rockier beaches I take the "get up in carefully up to your knees, then launch" approach. I have owned Keens for a couple of years now and have literally only worn them on island adventures--at this rate they'll last until I'm 80.

Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes?

Everybody pretty much answered the shoe question, so all I'll say is what I do regarding what to wear on the plane...

OK! I wear my Merrell Sandals, and zip-off cargo pants to and from the vaca. That way I'll have on long pants while up here stateside, then can zip off the lower/bottoms of them when on the plane. Plenty of people do it, just makes sense!

Must do's-? Eat at as many "local" restaurants as possible. Roti's, conch fritters, johnny-cakes...Yum!

Must don'ts-? Overpack!

Smiles-

Mj

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
740 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes?

Hi MJ,

Another vote for your Merrell sandles -- something with a hard cover over your toes. Two years ago when I was hiking Ram Head, I had on open toed sturdy sandles. I ended up breaking my toe by hitting it on a rock hiking UP the trail. It made for a long hike as I watched my toe turn black and blue.

On the plane, I usually wear a skort, and bring a small fleece blanket that I use to cover my legs on the plane if I am cold.

Must do's: we love Beach Bar and/or Joe's Rum Hut. Try Virgin Fire, Fatty Crab.

Have fun! We will be there in about 3 weeks!

Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoes?

OUCH!!!

Hopefully it was towards the end of your trip, that would be just awful!

Smiles-

MJ

ct. usa
Level Contributor
440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoes?

my husband wears Keens with closed toe most of time- brings "boat shoe" loafer for nicer dinner venues. I wore sneakers on plane- also brought sturdy flip flops for walking and dressy sandals for dinners out. We do bring cheapy "water shoes" for rocky beaches, some trails etc. Sounds like lots of shoes but we do carry-on.

" Open mike" night at Sundog (was Sunday) is fun- good eats and great music.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoes?

Thanks, everyone!

Great tips on the shoes - i think we are covered! We're so excited to go.... Overpacking in my biggest fault everywhere. I always want to make sure I have clothes for all occasions: comfy beach clothes, comfy hang out clothes and sundresses for dinners out. But I'm trying.... :)

Thank you all!