We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where to stay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on where to stay

I've been looking at possible accommodations for my upcoming trip to St. John in May or June and am having difficulty finding a place with two beds that isn't outrageously expensive. I'm going with my sister, so we would prefer to have two separate beds, but can share a king bed if necessary. We don't need a two bedroom unit, but it would be nice to have my own bed. Most of the places I've looked at seem to be geared towards couples or large groups with only one bed and maybe a convertible sofa (I usually get back pain if I sleep on a sofa bed). Does anyone know of a hotel or vacation rental with 2 twin/double/queen beds that is in the $150-250/night range? We will rent a car, so it's not imperative to be in town, but since I have never driven on the left side, I don't want something that's up a steep hill and difficult to access. I know Westin has 2 beds in their rooms, but that's more than we wanted to spend. I've been looking at the top ranked hotels/B&B/inns listed on Trip Advisor and so far no luck finding something that meets my criteria. Would I have more luck on a site like VRBO? Am I being unrealistic to expect two beds in my price range?

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Try the Inn at Tamarind Court. Certainly not fancy, but it was very clean, centrally located, and considering you are on St. John, you won't be spending any time in the room other than to sleep.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Definitely look on VRBO. We stayed at Bliss (condo) above Cruz Bay in 2012. Completely redone, 2 BR/1bath. $240/nt You might be able to negotiate a little with the owner. I have rented 2 of her properties and each was exactly as advertised and very clean. She was great to deal with. VRBO #380848 Cimmaron Properties manages it and they too are great. We have used them multiple times. www.cimmaronstjohn.com

Currently the last week of May and first week of June are open.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where to stay

I have never stayed here but it looks nice. It may work for you.

http://www.stjohncondos.com/hilloway/

Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Yay! you chose St. John! I remember your post about deciding between St. Lucia. CM, and STJ. You will absolutely love it :) Have you checked out Gallows? They're a little on the pricey side but it looks lovely.

US
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Hi phototravelgirl910, I did finally make a decision on where to go and now am making my flight and hotel plans. I have looked at Gallows Point, Caneel Bay, and Westin as well as a few B&B type places (Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel and Estate Lindholm). Although I love the idea of being right on the water, the first 3 are about $400/night which is more than I'd like to spend, and the cheapest rooms at all except Westin only have one bed and a convertible couch instead of two real beds.

Thanks for the suggestions bluewater43, I'll definitely check that out. I did a quick check on VRBO and it looks like there are several 2 BR units in Cruz Bay that are within my price limits, so that may be a better option for my needs.

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on where to stay

St. John Guest Suite has one room that has two twin beds that can be converted to a king. Check their web page out. Amazing location and amenities for a wonderful price.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Check into Palm Terrace Villas (www.palmterracevillas.com) I know that they have a 2 bedroom unit that is pretty affordable compared to one room at the Westin or Caneel. I've stayed in three different units here and they were all really nice. There's also a pool, it's easily walkable down the hill to Cruz Bay and has parking. Nice kitchens, furnishings etc…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on where to stay

We just returned yesterday from a 9 day stay on St. John. While we recognize this might not be for everyone, nor families with small kids - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Little Palm Villa (http://www.vrbo.com/252897#rates). It is a little "tired"...but not uncomfortably so. We loved the open air/screened in deck and spent many (all) our nights out on the deck...in fact, I don't think we ever sat inside the house! It is well stocked with spices, ketchup/mustard/mayo etc; so don't buy those types of things until you get there and see what's in the pantry/fridge. The driveway is...bumpy but not scary. We don't have any connection to the people who own this - so this is a "true recommendation". We slept well, and loved each night looking over Coral Bay and the lights on the mountains. It is 10-15 minutes from most beaches and 20-25 to Cruz Bay. But, we enjoyed being in Coral Bay (with one day of shopping/drinking in Cruz Bay). Again, not fancy but very comfortable, clean, and homey! PM me if you need additional info.

Level Contributor
67 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on where to stay

Sweet Wind is not to be missed.

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g205356…

10. Re: Need advice on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015