We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Return Travel Question

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Saturday Return Travel Question

We will be arriving in St. John this Saturday and staying on the North Shore. We leave the following Saturday on a 1:30 p.m. flight out of STT. Just wondering from anyone who has been recently how busy the airport will be at that time and what time we should plan on leaving St. John to check in at STT.

Also, anyone use a porter recently?

So looking forward to this vacation and have been avidly reading all posts.

Thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

It's the busy season with Spring Break in full swing - I'll be down starting Saturday with my college senior. The latest ferry I would consider taking would be the 10AM Red Hook ferry if you are carryon only or the 9AM Red Hook ferry if you are checking bags (whether or not you have a porter). The 845AM Charlotte Amalie ferry is also an option.

Tip: Pick up you customs & immigration forms at the airport on the way in or at the Cruz Bay C&I office and fill them out before you arrive at the airport.

Cheers, RickG

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

Friends of hours had long lines at the airport due to more security. They waited about 45 minutes with carryon before getting to customs. Give yourself 3 hours.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

Thanks for responding.

Renting our Jeep from Amalie on stt. Forgot to add that as we will be taking the car barge. Hope that does not impact the trip time?

Enjoy your vacation.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

I would go for 9AM on the Roanoke or 930AM on Mr. B and arrive 15 minutes early. It's worth giving them a call to confirm the schedule. You can buy gas on St. Thomas before returning the vehicle to Amalie. We usually hit the gas station/mini market in Bovoni, I think its called Gasworks.

Chas over at VIOL posted an update on car barge service yesterday:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgin-islands/…

My goto for car barge schedule is VINow: vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#st…

Cheers, RickG

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

If gasworks is the place on the left side of the road it is closed.( at least it was in January) It looks like there was a fire. But allmost across the street on the right hand side is another gas station that is open.

Virginia
Level Contributor
248 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

I have a related question. It's been a few years since we were in the STT airport. I can't remember if any of it is indoors and air conditioned and if there is a restaurant on-site.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

Thanks RickG for the info again. Will look at it and plan accordingly. We're all about getting there earlier rather than later.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

The departure lounge (a term that glorifies the experience a bit) is indoors and air-conditioned, and yes, there's a restaurant.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

It's important to clarify, a restaurant with a bar.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday Return Travel Question

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a restaurant, because they do not wait on you. It is more like a cafeteria line with limited choices and HIGH prices. It is the only option in the terminal. Best to eat before you get there, or pack a sandwich. I think I paid $5.00 for a beer and it wasn't very cold. They don't even have a water fountain in the terminal because they want you to buy water instead of filling up your own water bottle.

Get answers to your questions about St. John