We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

ny
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

Hi, is 45 minutes enough time to get on a connecting flight in Miami airport to get on a flight to St.John?

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

A little too close for comfort IMO.

Are you checking luggage?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

If you are on the same airline/code share, and your flight is booked all the way through to STT and your flight is on time into Miami, YES. Try to book your seats as close to the front of the plane as you can. If you are in the back, it can take 10 minutes just to get off the plane. Then run to your gate! Otherwise, NO.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

As someone who travels for a living, I'd say it depends. Should you be able to make it? - Yes. When I'm traveling on business, I book 45 minute connections frequently. But if anything goes wrong (deicing, any type of delay), you will probably miss the flight. If there's a backup going soon, you might want to give it a shot. But I'd be nervous about anything under an hour, same airline/codeshare or not. Too many things can go wrong, and it's not a good way to start a vacation by getting stuck in Miami for a long time. Good luck

Edited: 7:45 am, February 15, 2014
Bardstown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

Is there even an airport on STJ??????

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

Nope, no airport on St John.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
752 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

Made it once... missed a connection once... As Colin says, "it all depends!" At the very least, research what your options are, if you do miss the connecting flight.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

45 mins is doable but an hour is better, keep in mind that if your traveling on AA and your departure gate is 1-10 its a little bit of a walk from the skytrain to those gates. I've made 20min connections before but when that happens the gates are usually close together.

Mike in Tulsa

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

We made our's but we ran the whole way to the other side of the airport just as our flight was boarding. I will add that we didn't check any luggage and our flight left on time from New York. We have never done it since. Too much stress to begin a vacation.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

From my experiences in MIA, no. We were flying American and actually had enough time for the transfer. But our arrival gate and the gate we had to get to were close to a mile apart. I'm not kidding here - it took us over 20 minutes to hike the distance. And just as we arrived at the departure gate, they were CHANGING THE SIGN ON THE GATE. Now our flight was at least a half mile back in the direction we had just come from!

My husband is 70 and walks with a cane, and he had pushed himself really hard to make that first hike. He just collapsed into a seat and panted. The gate agent looked concerned and called for one of those little wheeled taxi carts to come get us. Well, it was a nice thought. We sat there for 15 or 20 minutes - no cart and time was running out. Just as we gathered ourselves together and started walking back, the cart showed up. But (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP) the horn was broken so the driver kept sing-songing "*beep-beep* *beep-beep*" as we barreled through the crowds of people slogging from gate to gate.

At least the plumbing was working this time. The last time we changed at MIA the plumbing was broken on the entire concourse and we had to walk for 15 minutes to another concourse just to use the bathroom. MIA is a pit. Worst airport ever.

10. Re: Connecting flight in Miami to St.John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:58 pm, February 23, 2014